Please run these tests

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Please run these tests

Post by groepaz »

I have attached two small test program, please run them, and then save $2000-$2fff after that using your utility cartridge, or perhaps a basic line like:

poke43,0:poke44,32:poke45,0:poke46,48:poke55,255:poke56,255:save"mem",8,1

the programs need at least +8k expansion
viavarious.zip
(1.68 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
unfortunately my own vic20 seems to be acting up (some RAM issue perhaps) right now, i cant produce useful data myself :(

(that said, i am also looking at a very small "monitor" program that could sit at the end of this 8k expansion - i only really need "view memory" and "save block" feature - if there is something like that, please tell)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Please run these tests

Post by Mike »

groepaz wrote:(that said, i am also looking at a very small "monitor" program that could sit at the end of this 8k expansion - i only really need "view memory" and "save block" feature - if there is something like that, please tell)
That would be Tinymon of Jim Butterfield's fame. It's less than 1 KB, loads (with "...",8) to any BASIC start and automatically relocates to the end of available BASIC memory, thereby protecting itself from being overwritten. With a +8K RAM expansion, that'd mean around the range $3C00..$3FFF.

Link: http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... %201.0.prg

Save $2000..$2FFF: .S "DUMP.PRG",08,2000,3000
View $2000..$2FFF: .M 2000 2FFF
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

On my NTSC 2-prong VIC, VIA20.PRG and VIA21.PRG flash a screen for a couple seconds, then hard lock the machine.

At the time of the lockup, both programs show a screen with a red border and a green background with a bunch of black @s. The screen is also shifted down and to the right so that I can see 21.5 columns and 22.125 rows.

I'm just doing

Code: Select all

LOAD "VIA20.PRG",8

RUN
with 27.5K free for BASIC.

I'm happy to reset and save that memory range post-reset, if you think that would still be useful...
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Here are updated tests, we jumped through some hops and gathered new reference data from running an equivalent test on the 1541, and now they show all green also on my vic20

I have no idea why they would lock up on NTSC to be honest - perhaps they are PAL only? I never tried :) the code for the other viavarious tests is here - if someone can tell why any of it would be PAL specific (and perhaps how that can be fixed) - speak up :)

Whatever, run the updated one - and if its all green for you too, just say that, no need to save a dump :)
Attachments
viavarious.zip
(1.58 KiB) Downloaded 82 times
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Same result. It's PAL-only; it behaves the same way in VICE, locking up the NTSC model, but not the PAL model. Sorry!

But the difference is, in VICE I can see that there's no CPU jam indicated. NMI vector is still the default, $FEAD. Weird.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Tried the newer versions on both PAL and NTSC. I always have to press "Space" once the test finishes, then the VIC20 does a reset. Is that correct behaviour? It never finishes without pressing the spacebar on both PAL/NTSC.

Attached please find my 4 result-files.

While I got your attention, can you have a look at this VICE-bug:

https://sourceforge.net/p/vice-emu/bugs/1692/

Once an .INI is created NTSC-VIC20 crashes when activating interlace. BTW: Where can I get nightly builds from VICE now? Retroplay does not seem to do them anymore and says they are on Github - however I could only find 3 year old versions of VICE there?

Edit: Found them:
https://github.com/VICE-Team/svn-mirror/releases
Tried above with latest r41983-snapshot. VICE still crashes. Steps to reproduce:
- start VICE without .ini
- set VIC-20-model to NTSC in settings
- try POKE 36864,133 - all is fine
- save settings
- close and restart VICE
- try POKE 36864,133 - VICE crashes
Attachments
mem.zip
(854 Bytes) Downloaded 61 times
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Tried the newer versions on both PAL and NTSC. I always have to press "Space" once the test finishes, then the VIC20 does a reset. Is that correct behaviour?

it should run through all tests and then show green border. at this point you can press space to exit, or A-L to rerun the individual tests.

Anywhere, your data matches mine/ours - which probably confirms all is fine now. thanks!
Steps to reproduce:
please post the exact steps on the tracker :) (also pls try if you really have to remove the ini, or if starting with -default is good enough)
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Steps to reproduce:
please post the exact steps on the tracker :) (also pls try if you really have to remove the ini, or if starting with -default is good enough)
Done, starting with -default is good enough (e.g. NTSC-interlace works). But starting with a saved .ini it crashes once interlace-mode is activated on Win64 GTK-VICE at least.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Hi,

here are the result files of the first set of test programs: results.zip, including info on the VIAs (in case that matters). Tests done on my VFLI-modded PAL VC-20 with VIC-1111 +16K RAM expansion. The second set produces an all-green display for both tests. :)

Greetings,

Michael
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

And by now they show all green in VICE trunk too :)