Monitor cables

Vic 20 Item Exchange

Moderator: Moderators

Schlowski
NoMess!

Monitor cables

Post by Schlowski »

Hi,

yesterday I finally got my 2 new monitors for my Commodores and was putting them in front of my VIC's - and suddenly recognized that I'm missing monitor cables...

I always thought that the VIC and C=64 video connector would be the same but they apparently are not :-(

Has anybody some of these cables for sell or any address where I can buy those? Searching the net I only found C=64 cables.

Björg
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

The c64 cables works on some vic-20s (CR most often it seems), but on the others you need to use the "video-high" pin instead of the "video-low" pin of the video port.

It's easy to make yourself a cable if you can't find one. But there are cables for sale in audio stores with the video din plug in one end and a bunch of rca plugs in the other end. Then it's just to use some kind of meter (or even a battery plus a lamp) to figure out which rca plugs goes to which pins and just use the two of them. One for the high-video and one for the audio.

If you can't find one of those cables, then here's another method I've used to make a cable so you don't have to solder on those tiny pins: It's just to buy one suitable din cable (a midi cable will probably do) plus one stereo rca cable. Cut both in two and you will have the material for two video cables. It's the same thing here, you only have to find the right cables inside and then solder them together. You could even just wire them together and then just put some tape over it if you don't have any soldering tools...

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Mmh, the problem is that the VIC has just another plug for video output then the C=64 so I could not even plug the C=64 cable into my VIC.
As far as I remember right now, the C=64 has some pin in the middle whereas the VIC doesn not have this (or vice-versa, don't beat me about that).

Think I will go to my local electronics store and try to get some cables with the right plugs - thanks for the info.

Björg
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The C64 has an eight pin DIN (perhaps with exception for the very oldest models). The VIC-20 only has a five pin DIN. The connector is kind of upwards compatible, so a composite video cable for the VIC could work on the 64, if the right pins are connected. However, the 64 has separated component video as well as composite video, and you get a better picture with the separated component video.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
GreyGhost
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by GreyGhost »

I used a small drill bit to add the extra hole. :D
Rob
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

You'd need to make three holes, I reckon. Get an audio cable like Boray suggests, or build your own from scratch.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

carlsson wrote:The C64 has an eight pin DIN (perhaps with exception for the very oldest models).
Yes, the really old C64s had just the 5-pin DIN, I have two of these models. I'm nearly certain I've used the same cable with the 5-pin connector on both my VICs and my oldest C64s. If anyone is desperate to know, I'll take the time to test it out.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I didn't think of those separated component pins because I have never used them...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Whoot - just made my first own cable and it works :-))
Ok, it's really simple but nevertheless this was my first attempt on hardware since I made a reset button for my original VIC more then 20 years ago.

(Now I only need one or two more hands for holding all the parts involved :lol: )

Björg
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Monitor cables

Post by ruud »

Schlowski wrote:I always thought that the VIC and C=64 video connector would be the same but they apparently are not :-(
FYI: for years I always use the same cable for coth my VIC-20, C64, C128, Plus/4 and C(1)16. No problem so far. Monitor: Philips CM8833-II (IIRC). I also have a small 8" LCD screen and no troubles sof aither with C64 and VIC-20.

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org