Keyboards around the World

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Keyboards around the World

Post by Jeff-20 »

I know of distinct VIC keyboard for English, Japanese, Danish, and Swedish/Finnish. The roms are available on Zimmer's ftp archives. I have also seen screen images of a Spansih keyboard.

I want to know if any effort has been made to document the code differences (character and PETSCII numbers) and if there are any other known variation. Am I missing any? Did the French SECAM have a different keyboard? Does anyone here have a variant with the relevant numbers?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Keyboards around the World

Post by srowe »

I generated a Unicode mapping table for the VIC-1001 character set

https://github.com/irmen/cbmcodecs2/blo ... 1jp_kk.txt

I'd be happy to do the same for other variants but some other representation would probably be more readable.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

srowe wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:09 pm I generated a Unicode mapping table for the VIC-1001 character set
Thanks! I knew I saw it somewhere before. I also have the archived 1001 user manual; it's very thorough. I could probably guess assignments from pictures of the other regional keyboards, but I suppose the numbers of exisiting units are so small . . .
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Jeff-20 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:52 pm Thanks! I knew I saw it somewhere before. I also have the archived 1001 user manual; it's very thorough. I could probably guess assignments from pictures of the other regional keyboards, but I suppose the numbers of exisiting units are so small . . .
I found the PETSCII table in the VIC-1001 manual inaccurate in places, I had to go through the entire character set manually to cross-check.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

srowe wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 1:59 am
Jeff-20 wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 8:52 pm Thanks! I knew I saw it somewhere before. I also have the archived 1001 user manual; it's very thorough. I could probably guess assignments from pictures of the other regional keyboards, but I suppose the numbers of exisiting units are so small . . .
I found the PETSCII table in the VIC-1001 manual inaccurate in places, I had to go through the entire character set manually to cross-check.
I'm finding several conflicting versions now. Is this one wrong too?
https://www.pagetable.com/c64ref/charset/

Your explication uses approximate pronunciation (romanji) that may not be accurate, so I want to go by the actual written characters.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

Jeff-20 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 6:36 pm I'm finding several conflicting versions now. Is this one wrong too?
https://www.pagetable.com/c64ref/charset/
Interesting, I didn't realize you could switch variants on this page. I'll try and find my notes and compare against my findings.
Your explication uses approximate pronunciation (romanji) that may not be accurate, so I want to go by the actual written characters.
I used the official Unicode naming from https://www.compart.com/en/unicode/block/U+30A0 but it's entirely possible I used the wrong symbol as I'm unable to read or write Japanese at all.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

I think the pagetable charts are also wrong. For example, in the chart called "Japanese upper-Kanji (VIC-20)" the PETSCII character at $B2 (178) is the normal box drawing symbol. If I run VICE as a VIC-1001 I get "イ" (Katakana Letter I, U+30A4).
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks for checking. I will see what other information I can find. I know a few people here owned the actual hardware.