JiffyDOS for the VIC-20 is on sale!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Schema wrote:In fact, the only reason there's a different version for the 1541C, 1541-II, etc. is because the two ROMs were combined into one in those models.
What is the version number of JiffyDos that you have for 1541 :?:

I'm curious which is latest release.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Boray wrote:Btw, Those interested in ordering JiffyDos should take a look inside their vic-20 first. Because not all vic-20s has socketed rom chips. Of my four, only two has.
Coming in a bit late in this thread. Have had a lot to do at work and other stuff so I haven't had time to visit the forums for a while.

I ordered JiffyDOS last week and I'll put it in a VIC with soldered ROMs -- but with a twist. I'll extract the contents of the ROM and upload it to the flash memory in my Universal 6502 RAM/ROM Expansion. This is a device I recommend to everyone. It gives you 32K RAM, the possibilty for four different switchable KERNAL/BASIC ROMs and four switchable expansion ROMs. No soldering required since it goes into the 6502 socket: remove the 6502, stick it in the CPU socket on the expansion board, and stick the board in the CPU socket on the VIC 20 motherboard. Add some switches and you're done.
Last edited by Bacon on Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

And if your cpu is soldered on? :wink:
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Boray wrote:And if your cpu is soldered on? :wink:
That would be a problem of course :(

Since my "new" VIC 20 seems to be a pretty late version and has a socketed CPU, I just assumed that was true for all VIC 20s. Should have known by now that you can never assume anything when it comes to C= equipment.
Bacon
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

My blue vic has no sockets at all, but I think that's the only one of my four...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: JiffyDOS for the VIC-20 is on sale!

Post by MacbthPSW »

MacbthPSW wrote:Fair enough. I ordered it - I'll let you guys know what I think when it arrives.
It arrived quite a while ago (like, end of February!) but I only found time for my VIC this weekend, poor thing.

I had found a perfect condition newer VIC-20 recently for just $1.99, and had planned on using this one for my JiffyDOS machine. Unfortunately, when I opened it, not a single chip was socketed. I dug through my collection of much uglier (yellowed, scratched) machines and found one that was quite functional, and had a socketed Kernal.

The install went no problems at all, as easy as popping out the old chip, pushing in the new, and drilling a 1/4" hole in the side of the case for the enable/disable switch to be added.

Works nicely so far - it's great to have the DOS wedge available in particular.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Since you had to drill a hole, maybe it was better to use the old, scratched computer. After all, computers meant to be used don't matter how they look, while it is more important for computers meant to collect.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

carlsson, it depends where your computer is set up. :wink:

My VIC20 is in my recreation room hooked up to the TV, very visible. So it is much better to have a clean one there rather than an old scratched one!

As for the JiffyDOS switch, I got a plastic "cover" for the switch that makes it look very professional. Though I hardly ever switch it off, so I might have done without making the hole at all.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

I try to keep the machines I work with as presentable as possible for those times that someone checks out my geek room, or I head out into public with them (like, the Chicago Expo, or my fairly recent attempts at teaching kids BASIC on the C-64).

Although we might get used to a yellowed machine, to the average eye, it looks really gross, and does nothing to change the preconceived ideas people have about us geeks :)
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

After a long wait I finally got all my JiffyDOS ROMs and placed them in my various Commodore hardware :-)
Beside some non-socketed machines (which is beyond my soldering abilities right now...) I had no problem at all replacing the ROMS and all machines work - VIC-20, C64, C128D, 1541, 1541-II, 1571 and 1581 with JiffyDOS enabled and disabled.
I made no heavy duty tests, but I loaded and saved some programs, listed the directories and checked the error channel.
Now I have to get used to the wedge commands...

All in all I'm very satisfied with the ease of installation and compatibility.

Does anyone know if I can use JiffyDOS ROMs with WinVICE?

Björg
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Mmh, no success with JiffyDOS and Vice, too bad.
Tried even with a real drive connected to my PC, but it seems that JiffyDOS is a little bit more restrictive than the original Kernal.

Björg
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

My experience is that JiffyDOS for the C64, C128 and 1541-II work just fine with VICE.

Still haven't recieved my VIC 20 JiffyDOS so I don't know about that one.
Bacon
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Got it working :-)

Needs to use "true drive emulation" (which is quite obvious) and a disk image, not a directory - this was what I missed, but which is obvious, too...

Now I only have to figure out how to read the drive ROMs and then I can transfer them to Vice, have to dig in my various books about 1541 :-)

Björg
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

I ordered my VIC JiffyDOS a month ago now and... I've yet to get it...

What's wrong with CMDRKEY... 2 months wait for a floppy drive? 3 months wait for a SuperCPU ??? That's a bad joke ?!?!?
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

Not to demotivate you, but I waited 3 months...

CMDRKEY is one person, Maurice Randall, I I think he is quite obvious overloaded with work...

Nevertheless I ordered some other hardware from him, let's see how long a harddrive will take if simple ROMS need a quarter of a year ;-)

Björg