JiffyDOS for the VIC-20 is on sale!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Bacon
for breakfast

Post by Bacon »

Yep, Maurice has been known to occasionally take a long time to process orders. As Schlowski said, he's just one guy. His main business is an auto repair shop, so the CMDRKey stuff probably has to be done when he has some spare time.
Bacon
-------------------------------------------------------
Das rubbernecken Sichtseeren keepen das cotton-pickenen Hands in die Pockets muss; relaxen und watschen die Blinkenlichten.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Bacon wrote:Yep, Maurice has been known to occasionally take a long time to process orders. As Schlowski said, he's just one guy. His main business is an auto repair shop, so the CMDRKey stuff probably has to be done when he has some spare time.
Since I suppose demand justifies it, couldn't he hire somebody or have part of the stuff, like the JiffyDOS chips made externally or under license ?

JiffyDOS chips are after all just EPROMs or PROMs. Even people with little or no commodore knowledge could do THAT...
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Wouldnt it be possible make discturbo cartridge for Vic20..

No need mod your 1541 and you could use all disc drives you have, not just that one with changed chip.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Mikam73 wrote:Wouldnt it be possible make discturbo cartridge for Vic20..

No need mod your 1541 and you could use all disc drives you have, not just that one with changed chip.
As a matter of fact, VIC Turbodisc is an option I offer with my custom made 32k RAM expander.

JiffyDOS has the advantage of using no interfering memory space because it is integrated into the Kernel ROM.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

The offer to license manufacturing of JiffyDOS and the CMD products have been made before, but denied, ignored or otherwise not considered. Maurice used to be prompt, then delayed orders (but charged ahead) and a lot of people were upset, even going as far as filing official complaints. Then Maurice was the victim of a crime, and was badly shook, but started to become prompt in expediating orders again! No idea why he slipped behind again.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

switch

Post by dragos »

Yes you can enable/disable with VIC on. It is discussed in this review:

http://c64.digitalscream.com/vic20/jiffyreview.html
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

I was so impressed with JiffyDOS for the VIC, I ordered a set for my SX64.

This was several months ago. I'm giving up and burning EPROMS (fortunately I have some pin-exact M68764's). If my order ever arrives, I'll swap them out again.
Schlowski
NoMess!

Post by Schlowski »

It's too bad that Maurice is not willing to share his business. Don't know why he is not considering that selling his products with some other people participating would increase his income instead of not selling the products himself :-( And reading about people waiting for months or even years for their orders tells a lot...

Now that the 'commodore-scene' has matured I presume that one could sell a lot of this CMD hardware, at least I ordered a lot of stuff as a birthday present for myself, let's see if I get this in-time for my birthday next year ;-) Luckily I'm now patient enough (= old enough) to wait some time, there are other things in life which seem to be more important than hardware :-)

Björg
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

If only ONE person talks to him, I don't think it has much impact, however, if we were to send him an official letter (by normal mail) signed by ALL of us then we could have a serious impact.

Personnally, I remember telling him about 3 years ago over the phone that I would have liked to be able to purchase a SuperCPU 64 as a kit I can assemble and solder myself to avoid the "3 months wait"...
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

eslapion wrote:If only ONE person talks to him, I don't think it has much impact, however, if we were to send him an official letter (by normal mail) signed by ALL of us then we could have a serious impact.
Think again. This has all been discussed, talked about, argued over, and suggested over and over and over again. For years.

Personally, I've come to the conclusion that Maurice and CMDRKEY is what it is, and there's really no point in talking about it. I think it's a good idea for new users to be made aware of what they might be facing when ordering from CMDRKEY; but beyond that there's no reason to beat a dead horse.
Alan
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Alan wrote:Personally, I've come to the conclusion that Maurice and CMDRKEY is what it is, and there's really no point in talking about it. I think it's a good idea for new users to be made aware of what they might be facing when ordering from CMDRKEY; but beyond that there's no reason to beat a dead horse.
Maurice's website is still up! Unfortunately, a lot of people stumble on this and expect to get what they ordered. I mean how difficult is it to make a pair of ROMs for the SX-64 ??

People ought to be made aware that he just never delivers. I was chatting with a friend who says an HD was ordered from Maurice in 2001 and he never got it. Something has to be done to shutdown his website so he can't fool anyone else!
Alan
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Alan »

eslapion wrote:Maurice's website is still up! Unfortunately, a lot of people stumble on this and expect to get what they ordered. I mean how difficult is it to make a pair of ROMs for the SX-64 ??
I can totally sympathize because I've been there myself. Not knowing any better, I ordered a JiffyDOS ROM from CMDRKEY a year or so back and waited 5 or 6 months to get it. I was told the ROM was 'in stock.' I was irate, to say the least, when he wouldn't answer emails or telephone calls. So I'm not defending CMDRKEY.
eslapion wrote:People ought to be made aware that he just never delivers. I was chatting with a friend who says an HD was ordered from Maurice in 2001 and he never got it. Something has to be done to shutdown his website so he can't fool anyone else!
I agree with the first part. I think it's shameful how some people in our community, knowing Maurice's track record, choose to not warn new users (or even encourage them!) who are thinking of placing an order with CMDRKEY. Having said that, Maurice does seem to have spurts where he is fairly reliable. It's just a matter of striking when the iron is hot, I guess.

I used to agree with the second part. But shutting Maurice down doesn't get anyone what they want. It doesn't give Maurice a chance to get his act together. It certainly won't make him want to remain in the C= community. Most importantly, it puts all that cool CMD hardware beyond our reach-- forever. With the current situation, there's at least a chance, however slight, that things could work out in a way that puts CMD equipment back on the market.

Finally, I've seen this subject come up in forum after forum and all it seems to do is create hard feelings between some people. I know I've been guilty of contributing to that in the past due to my own bad experiences. So this'll be my last post on this.
Alan
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Isn't it possible to set up a web shop where you can put your orders, but not finish the payment until the shop sends you a notice that the package is ready to be shipped?

It is not only Maurice who is claimed to be slow and unresponsible. As long as no money is drawn from your credit card, people would not need to be half as upset about the delayed and non-executed orders. Typically a web shop is constantly running with most items in stock, so the delayed ordering is not required, but in the post-Commodore era, several vendors (including someone living nearby Schema, I read on c.s.cbm) appear to work in the same way, aggrevating the users and giving themselves bad names.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

It's amazing how many of these Commodore vendors do a bad job. Click Here, JPPBM, and even Centsible have terrible reputations. But these are all done as hobbies, I guess that is the reason. Even oldsoftware.com shipped me some chips *loose in a plastic box* :roll:!

Protovision and C64Reloaded are the only two vendors I've been really impressed with.

Incidentially, I just drove to JPPBM's and bought a bunch of his stock and am selling it myself (see thread in buy/sell). :wink:
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

eslapion wrote:People ought to be made aware that he just never delivers.
This isn't true - right in this very thread you can read that I ordered JiffyDOS for the VIC-20 in February, and received it within a couple weeks.

And in January 2005 I also placed an order for JiffyDOS for my SX-64, and I received it in about 8 weeks. You can read about that here: http://www.lemon64.com/forum/viewtopic. ... t=jiffydos

I've bought something from Maurice probably every year since 1996 and he's never let me down. It seems prudent to not send him the money ahead of time - in February he phoned me when the order was ready, and I gave him my credit card information then, and he charged and shipped the same day.

I'm not disputing other people's experiences, but I'm also going to share mine.