FE3_2_SUPER_ROM_BUG?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

FE3_2_SUPER_ROM_BUG?

Post by srowe »

I'm playing around with code to use the various modes of the FE3 and noticed the following in the VICE code base

Code: Select all

/* emulate Final Expansion v3.2 Super ROM write bug */
/*#define FE3_2_SUPER_ROM_BUG*/
I think it refers some discrepancy in whether writes go to bank 0 or 1 in Super ROM mode but I can't find any further details.

I'd like to understand this better before I write too much code that assumes the behaviour described in the original manual (which states writes go to bank 1).
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Re: FE3_2_SUPER_ROM_BUG?

Post by tlr »

srowe wrote: Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:19 am I'm playing around with code to use the various modes of the FE3 and noticed the following in the VICE code base

Code: Select all

/* emulate Final Expansion v3.2 Super ROM write bug */
/*#define FE3_2_SUPER_ROM_BUG*/
I think it refers some discrepancy in whether writes go to bank 0 or 1 in Super ROM mode but I can't find any further details.

I'd like to understand this better before I write too much code that assumes the behaviour described in the original manual (which states writes go to bank 1).
I wrote that code. It refers to a bug in the preliminary CPLD for v3.2 which I found when reverse engineering the CUPL code to implement emulation of the cartridge. This bug is AFAIK not present in any released v3.2 CPLD versions.
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

tlr wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:04 pm I wrote that code. It refers to a bug in the preliminary CPLD for v3.2 which I found when reverse engineering the CUPL code to implement emulation of the cartridge. This bug is AFAIK not present in any released v3.2 CPLD versions.
Thanks for the confirmation, I noticed this is commented out so there's no way to build VICE with it. I'm amazed that all the behaviour of FE3 seems to be so faithfully implemented in VICE. A lot easier to debug with than the real thing.
tlr
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by tlr »

srowe wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 2:48 pm
tlr wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:04 pm I wrote that code. It refers to a bug in the preliminary CPLD for v3.2 which I found when reverse engineering the CUPL code to implement emulation of the cartridge. This bug is AFAIK not present in any released v3.2 CPLD versions.
Thanks for the confirmation, I noticed this is commented out so there's no way to build VICE with it. I'm amazed that all the behaviour of FE3 seems to be so faithfully implemented in VICE. A lot easier to debug with than the real thing.
Thanks, I guess.:)

I had the CUPL source to work from, but there was also a decent test program by Thomas Winkler to run on the vic20 to verify the bulk of the functionality.