Titan

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Titan

Post by doug_in_nc »

Hi, Can anyone help me with a question? I was looking through the TOSEC archive for one of the Commodore cartridges, and searched the CRT archive by "Commodore" to find it. What I noticed was that a game called Titan popped up in the list. I had never heard of a Commodore cartridge called Titan, so I assumed it was a mistake. Just to check, I opened it in Vice, and to my surprise it said Copyright Commodore Business Machines. I then assumed it must have been converted from a cassette game to fit into a cartridge, but I didn't find much info on it by googling. I did find it listed as an 8K cartridge image on Zimmers, though! Everygamegoing.com didn't have it under its list of all 808 games at all, and Ward Shrake's list of cassette games doesn't have it either. I had a look through the archives here at Denial, and it was mentioned as being "basically the same game as Mobile Attack", and sure enough you can see that there have been a few changes but it is clearly the same game (and a cartridge). What makes that confusing is that the copyright notice for Mobile Attack is (edit) from MSD not Commodore, and it is from 1982 not 1981. Does anyone know the history of this game? Did Commodore actually sell it before MSD or not?
Attachments
Titan in Zimmers.png
Titan1.png
Titan2.png
Titan (1981)(Commodore)(NTSC-PAL)[a][A000].zip
(5.71 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Mobile Attack 2.png
Miklós
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Titan

Post by Miklós »

Good day.

I think the game developer for the first time
He wrote Mobile Attack
and then became a .crt version.

- "Commercial" catch.
Sell a game under two names.

Mobile attack runs 8k expansion.
"tape casette" media.

Titan is in the 8k $ A000-rom chip.

-The "lives" register of both games uses the same title.

It is easier to change the graphics than to write new "code".

Aggressor --- Andes attack
Robot panic --- Myriad
VIDEO VERMIN -- MUSHROOM ALLEY
Attachments
TI.ZIP
(55.71 KiB) Downloaded 34 times
Rich
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Rich »

Does anyone have a cover for this game please :)
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Miklós wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 9:47 am Good day.

I think the game developer for the first time
He wrote Mobile Attack
and then became a .crt version.

- "Commercial" catch.
Sell a game under two names.

Mobile attack runs 8k expansion.
"tape casette" media.

Titan is in the 8k $ A000-rom chip.

-The "lives" register of both games uses the same title.

It is easier to change the graphics than to write new "code".

Aggressor --- Andes attack
Robot panic --- Myriad
VIDEO VERMIN -- MUSHROOM ALLEY
Both Titan and Mobile Attack are cartridges, and both seem to be rare (there's a old thread about Mobile Attack here viewtopic.php?f=1&t=483&hilit=mobile+attack ). Maybe there is a tape vesion of one of them, but I can't find it.

My main question was if Titan was actually sold by Commodore because the start-up screen says "Commodore Business Machines 1981", but I have never seen it in any list of Commodore game cartridges. Mobile Attack is from MSD and from 1982. It seems very odd that Commodore would sell a game themselves and then sell the code to someone else for them to modify it and sell it under a different name a year later. Does anyone have an original cartridge of Titan to confirm it's history?
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Mobile Attack was definitely released on cartridge by MSD, I own it.

I have never seen an original for Titan, so I have no idea if it's actually a cartridge (unlikely) or a converted tape (more likely). There's a German version released on tape by Conmodore called Luftkampf which is quite similar to both games, so I wonder if that's a starting point.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Mayhem wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:56 am Mobile Attack was definitely released on cartridge by MSD, I own it.

I have never seen an original for Titan, so I have no idea if it's actually a cartridge (unlikely) or a converted tape (more likely). There's a German version released on tape by Conmodore called Luftkampf which is quite similar to both games, so I wonder if that's a starting point.
Thanks Mayhem! I had a quick look at a youtube video of someone playing Luftkampf, and yes it certainly looks like that was the basis of both games. It has about half of the play features of the othe r two, but it definitely looks like the beginnings of Mobile Attack. I couldn't find anything from Commodore that looked like it with a name in any other language, so I'm guessing it was only Commodore Germany that sold it.