VIC Forth (Handic)

History and Preservation Issues

Moderator: Moderators

doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

VIC Forth (Handic)

Post by doug_in_nc »

I was thinking about beginning dabbling in Forth, and I have a couple of questions about the VIC Forth produced by Handic (not the HES version of the same name). Firstly, does an English language manual exist for it? I have found the version in Swedish (https://www.retro-commodore.eu/download ... 8se%29.pdf) but have been unable to find one in English. My second question is whether anyone knows where I could find a copy of the extension floppy that is mentioned in the manual? In the manual it mentions a "System Extensions Diskette" that contains extended vocabulary for assembly, editing, trig functions, graphics, string handling etc.
VIC Forth Manual snippet.png
If anyone is interested in using the versions of this cartridge that are on Zimmers, please note that the manual also mentions that the cartridge includes 3K RAM expansion that is used to store 11 x 256 byte buffer areas, so based on that I would assume that a 3K expansion is necessary to get it running. It has an interesting memory map (according to the manual, I haven't verified it) - even though it has a 3K expansion, it puts the screen memory at $1000, where you would expect it for VICs with block 1 filled, so whatever memory configuration you have, the video memory stays in the same place.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: VIC Forth (Handic)

Post by orion70 »

Could the C64 manual of the same product be of use? It's available both in PDF and OCR'd PDF.

P.S.
File not found.
You may have stumbled upon an error, try refreshing the webpage and try downloading again
If the problem persists, please contact us using the contact form of the site (click About/Contact)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

doug_in_nc wrote:[...] the manual also mentions that the cartridge includes 3K RAM expansion that is used to store 11 x 256 byte buffer areas, so based on that I would assume that a 3K expansion is necessary to get it running. It has an interesting memory map (according to the manual, I haven't verified it) - even though it has a 3K expansion, it puts the screen memory at $1000, where you would expect it for VICs with block 1 filled, [...]
That should make Handic Forth another one of those few contemporary cartridges that use both ROM and RAM. Otherwise, only Super Expander, Diagnostic and RTC V-Link come to mind.

Of course the moving screen memory with RAM in BLK1 is not god-given either - this is behaviour programmed in the KERNAL so the BASIC interpreter gets the most contiguous memory regardless which type of RAM expansion is in place. A user program can still put screen memory elsewhere (within the hardware limits) if that suits the program's requirements in a better way.

P.S. I found the English manual of HES VICForth on DLH. Interestingly enough, this one states that a +3K RAM cartridge can't be used by it.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

The C64 version of the manual does appear to be very similar to the VIC 20 version. At some time I should compare the two line by line, and then create an English language VIC version.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Update: When I asked about the Forth cartridge , I had bought a copy of what I hoped was this cartridge on line. I wasn’t optimistic as the other cartridges the seller had for sale had photocopied manuals, and there was no picture of the actual cartridge. Fortunately it turned out to be genuine, and to even have the manual in English, so when I get back from traveling for work in a week or so I can scan it and upload it here.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Great news for preservation sake. Thank you!
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Here is the manual scanned at 300 dpi with pages jpeg compressed within the pdf, and it looks pretty clear. I have the original uncompressed 600 dpi file, but as it's 225 MB, I haven't uploaded it here.
Attachments
VIC-2013 VIC FORTH Manual.zip
(7.76 MiB) Downloaded 101 times