Joystick

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Falkon215
Vic 20 Drifter

Joystick

Post by Falkon215 »

What is the best Joystick for playing games on the Vic20?I have a Hyperkin Atari style joystick and its not good when playing Pacman games or Rodman.Has anyone used the Epyx 500XJ joystick?
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Joystick

Post by chysn »

I think the Hyperkin Trooper is about the best modern joystick there is, regardless of game genre.

Obviously better ones were made in the 80s. The TAC2, probably the Epyx, although I've never tried it. But joysticks take so much abuse, by their nature, that I'm never going to buy an old joystick again. The ratio of worn-out ones to passable ones is absurd.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I think the ones you 3d print yourself from arcade quality parts are the best. I built one a while ago and it's very responsive.

I see somebody is selling them pre-built on E-Bay now..

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/184896038737 ... SwK21gUATc
Last edited by beamrider on Thu Nov 04, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

I haven't built one based on an arcade stick yet, but I have one in an MAME cabinet I built a couple of years back, and yes those joysticks are definitely good, much better than the two Hyperkin sticks I currently have attached to my Commodore and Atari 8 bit computers. If you have a 3d printer but don't want to design your own case then there are plenty of decent models available on thingiverse.com to choose from. You can get all of the parts (excluding the case) for around USD 25 on Amazon if you go for the Chinese clones, or about USD 40 if you go for genuine Sanwa parts. Personally I have Chinese clones, and they are definitely good enough for me.