Full screen games

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Full screen games

Post by doug_in_nc »

When my parents bought me a 16K RAM cartridge, one of the first things I did was buy a tape of the game Bonzo, which doesn't seem to have been one of the more famous games on the VIC 20, but what really impressed me about it, other than that the main character was made up of more than one character block and multi-colored, was that the game took up the whole screen without the normal VIC border around the playing area. I'm not a huge gamer, so I was wondering if anyone knew if "borderless" games were that common. Sorry the photo is upside down, but if you click on it, it flips over.
Attachments
bonzo.jpg
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Full screen games

Post by Ola H »

There were quite a few old Vic games that used a larger playing area than the standard 176x184. Moons of Jupiter (C. D Byrden , Romik) and Bongo (Udo Gertz, Kingsoft) were two of my favorites but I really likes Bonzo as well (Pit by the same guy was also a fine game but unexpanded and not full screen).
Last edited by Ola H on Sun Oct 24, 2021 5:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Full screen games

Post by chysn »

There’s always a border. It’s just that

(1) The screen and border colors are the same, so you don’t see the border as separate, and

(2) The screen area is increased beyond the normal 22x23 size, and then properly positioned
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his