Where can I get VIC-1515 Printer Paper?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
ka20
Vic 20 Amateur

Where can I get VIC-1515 Printer Paper?

Post by ka20 »

As you are probably aware, the VIC-1515 was the original printer for the VIC-20 and sold for only a very short time. The printer is very small and cannot handle paper larger than 8 inches wide. This means that standard 8.5 x 11 tractor feed paper, which amazingly still available today from my local office supply store, is too big for this printer. I can see from old Commodore price lists that they sold special paper for this printer at the time, but where can I obtain some in 2021? Any ideas? I've searched everywhere with no luck.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: Where can I get VIC-1515 Printer Paper?

Post by orion70 »

I second that request. Also, my 1515 printer lies in the garage without any left ink - any advice about how to refresh it? I suppose its ribbon is not available anymore.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

I can't help with the 8" paper, but on the subject of ribbons, have a look at this youtube video where an old Commodore printer ribbon is re-inked.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IkPEbDQ_Xkc&t=493s
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Is it possible it was made for European A4 paper size tractor feed paper?

A4: 8-1/4 x 11-3/4 in (without paper tractor feed strips attached).

Plus the tractor strips on either size would mean the paper with strips attached would be about 9-1/4" wide.
Would that fit? If so maybe you could order some from a European dealer.

As for re-inking old ribbons, there have been quite a few detailed threads on this forum on how to do it. Try searching in with the search bar at the upper right corner. Search MPS-801 as I know I've posted a lot about this topic when dealing with that printer.

Also, it would help if you found out who really made the VIC-1515, and what other names the printer was sold under. Then you could widen your search.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

The VIC 1515 printer is based on the Seikosha GP 80 printer with the addition of a modified printed circuit board containing an INTEL 8041 microprocessor (source: "mastering the VIC-20", 1984).
As I wrote, I've got a 1515 boxed in my garage, but haven't tried it yet. From what I see, this printer is fed with regular European A4 continuous paper, but I may be wrong.