Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Re: The DIY cartridge: JOLLY CARTRIDGE!

Post by MCes »

Mike wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:34 pm
doug_in_nc wrote:... Waterloo BASIC ...
Doug, also @MCes - I'd recommend you use the version of Waterloo BASIC that I had fixed for the inclusion in Mega-Cart, see here. Not only does this correct a small bug when printing error messages, it also includes the DOS wedge (with @ in direct mode) and a OLD routine callable with SYS 44444.
Thanks a lot Mike!
doug_in_nc wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm (....)
I had planned to put Waterloo BASIC and Super Expander on separate cartridges, but with both having the max amount of RAM possible - BLK1-3, BLK 5, RAM 1,2&3 and I/O 2 &3. From what I understood of the configuration, that should be possible, right?
doug_in_nc,
If you want a cart with a TOOL: the BLK (or areas) that contain the tool has to be ROM and not to be RAM, in your case BLK5 has to be ROM.
In this specific configuration (maxRAM + ROM) the ROM chip will always be present on IO2,3: this area cannot be RAM, but in this 2k ROM you can put other SW / routines / data ...

It also possible to make 2 identical cartridge (A/B)
+27k RAM (BLK1,2,3+RAM1,2,3)
+(selectable by J2 switch L/H):
H) U1BLK5: Japanese version of Super Expander (VIC-1211M)
L) U1BLK5: Waterloo Basic (VIC-1001)

On cart "A" J2=open, on cart "B"J2=jumper closed
"A"= +27k RAM + Japanese version of Super Expander (VIC-1211M)
"B"= +27k RAM + Modded Waterloo Basic

Or a single cart with a switch for a tools selection.... :wink:
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
javierglez
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by javierglez »

As I was referring in another post, on real VIC I use MCES 37k RAM expansion and a SD2IEC.
I've never been a cartridge guy, back then I had a 16k memory expansion and it was type-ins and tapes.
Now it's the games and demos I found here. In the middle when I had a C128 I saved some things to a 1581 disk.
I only use games cartridges for testing purposes.
To be honest I even have some problems to follow this thread.
So I don't know, if I get a Jolly cartridge I'd just add the RAM.
I don't like fiddling with the cartridge port connector which I find fidgety.
As the expansion fits inside the case I don't even remove it when I store the computer in a drawer.
Since I learnt to load multipart cartridges with the coldstart reset pokes I do that. And SJLoad feels as fast as the real thing.
Except for one demo which I had to burn in a real floppy, I haven't encountered software incompatible with the SD2IEC.
And I haven't found any program interfering with SJLoad in the I/O area.
Some time ago I wanted to prepare an SD card image to share with the stubs to load multipart cartridges but I don't find the time. I mean the one I use is not comprehensive, it just has the things I like the most.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

MCes wrote: Sun Nov 07, 2021 2:21 am
Mike wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:34 pm
doug_in_nc wrote:... Waterloo BASIC ...
Doug, also @MCes - I'd recommend you use the version of Waterloo BASIC that I had fixed for the inclusion in Mega-Cart, see here. Not only does this correct a small bug when printing error messages, it also includes the DOS wedge (with @ in direct mode) and a OLD routine callable with SYS 44444.
Thanks a lot Mike!
doug_in_nc wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 1:17 pm (....)
I had planned to put Waterloo BASIC and Super Expander on separate cartridges, but with both having the max amount of RAM possible - BLK1-3, BLK 5, RAM 1,2&3 and I/O 2 &3. From what I understood of the configuration, that should be possible, right?
doug_in_nc,
If you want a cart with a TOOL: the BLK (or areas) that contain the tool has to be ROM and not to be RAM, in your case BLK5 has to be ROM.
In this specific configuration (maxRAM + ROM) the ROM chip will always be present on IO2,3: this area cannot be RAM, but in this 2k ROM you can put other SW / routines / data ...

It also possible to make 2 identical cartridge (A/B)
+27k RAM (BLK1,2,3+RAM1,2,3)
+(selectable by J2 switch L/H):
H) U1BLK5: Japanese version of Super Expander (VIC-1211M)
L) U1BLK5: Waterloo Basic (VIC-1001)

On cart "A" J2=open, on cart "B"J2=jumper closed
"A"= +27k RAM + Japanese version of Super Expander (VIC-1211M)
"B"= +27k RAM + Modded Waterloo Basic

Or a single cart with a switch for a tools selection.... :wink:
No idea why I included BLK 5 RAM and a ROM in that last post. I must have been short of coffee :-(. Yes, when I am awake I know that the ROM would go into BLK 5, or at least those I am looking at would. As both of them are 4K ROMs at $A000, there would be an option to squeeze in either Programmer’s Aid (there is a version to fit at $B000) or VICMon It would be cool to have SJLoad in ROM at I/O 2-3 along with whichever other cartridge ROM I use too.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

javierglez wrote: Mon Nov 08, 2021 12:03 pm As I was referring in another post, on real VIC I use MCES 37k RAM expansion and a SD2IEC.
I've never been a cartridge guy, back then I had a 16k memory expansion and it was type-ins and tapes.
Now it's the games and demos I found here. In the middle when I had a C128 I saved some things to a 1581 disk.
I only use games cartridges for testing purposes.
To be honest I even have some problems to follow this thread.
So I don't know, if I get a Jolly cartridge I'd just add the RAM.
I don't like fiddling with the cartridge port connector which I find fidgety.
As the expansion fits inside the case I don't even remove it when I store the computer in a drawer.
Since I learnt to load multipart cartridges with the coldstart reset pokes I do that. And SJLoad feels as fast as the real thing.
Except for one demo which I had to burn in a real floppy, I haven't encountered software incompatible with the SD2IEC.
And I haven't found any program interfering with SJLoad in the I/O area.
Some time ago I wanted to prepare an SD card image to share with the stubs to load multipart cartridges but I don't find the time. I mean the one I use is not comprehensive, it just has the things I like the most.
Back in the day, I mostly had type-in programs and some commercial stuff on cassette too, and like you I had a 16K RAM expansion. From what I have seen, SD2IEC works for pretty much everything, as there was very little software published on floppy for the VIc there was basically no copy protection, so something like a PI 1541 or a real 1541 isn’t really needed. I do like physical cartridges rather than loading programs in to RAM or even a multi-cart but as I have a slot expander connected permanently, it’s a lot easier to swap cartridges.
javierglez
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by javierglez »

doug_in_nc wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 pm It would be cool to have SJLoad in ROM at I/O 2-3.
I hadn't noticed that
SJLoad in ROM at I/O and 35kRAM would be ideal for SD2IEC
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

javierglez wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 4:28 am
doug_in_nc wrote: Tue Nov 09, 2021 9:39 pm It would be cool to have SJLoad in ROM at I/O 2-3.
I hadn't noticed that
SJLoad in ROM at I/O and 35kRAM would be ideal for SD2IEC
I don't think that is possible with the Jolly Cart. Each 32K "half" of the memory is mapped to either RAM or ROM, so you could have SJLoad in I/O memory and a ROM in block 5 with 27K of free RAM, but if you want BLK 5 to be RAM, then I/O 2-3 will be too. The idea of a cartridge design with ROM at I/O 2-3 and 35K of RAM would be great for SD2IEC though (preferably with everything integrated into the same PCB)
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

(meanwhile, after Sorcery an Jump Jet, here are the graphics for box and label of ACE - Air Combat emulator :))
Attachments
ACE_side.jpg
ACE_label.jpg
ACE_front.jpg
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

About "ram expansion + SJload", perhaps we need to remember that:
A) SJload V7 work properly only with PAL VIC20 (?!)
B) SJload V8 (never seen...) has 2 version: PAL and NTSC
C) the VIC 20 operating system reallocates the areas (video, basic and relative pointers ..)
based on wich memory areas are filled with RAM, 3 different configuration will be possible: UNEXPANDED, +LOW RAM(+3k BASIC),+HIGHT RAM (+8(or more)k BASIC)

http://www.classiccmp.org/cini/pdf/Com ... Memory.pdf

based on C): SMART RAM has been developed with a 3-position selector that can explore all 3 configurations of the operating system
(".PRG games" has to be loaded into the proper OS configuration...) viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9802
SMART RAM can be modded by soldering a ROM chip on top of the RAM chip, the RAM access can be inhibited desoldering the 2 I/O lines "desolderable jumpers", the 2 lines has to be summed with 2 (schottky) diodes and wired to "/CS", "/OE" and a pull up resistor (from this node to Vcc): when an access to I/O2,3 areas will be present, than the ROM will be enabled (and not the RAM).

JOLLY CARTRIDGE
:
ROM on U1 can contain SJload (2 bank can be selected by J2, for example SJload V8 PAL/NTSC),
the RAM U2 is a 32k RAM chip that can't cover more than 32k......
With a simple slide switch it's possible chose....

Code: Select all

RAM1,2,3	BLK1	BLK2	BLK3	BLK5	RAM AVAILABLE		O.S. RECOGNIZE
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EMPTY		RAM	RAM	RAM	RAM	+24kBASIC +8kBLK5 	+HIGHT RAM
RAM		EMPTY	RAM	RAM	RAM	+3kBASIC +16K +8kBLK5	+LOW RAM

or....

RAM1,2,3	BLK1	BLK2	BLK3	BLK5
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
EMPTY		RAM	RAM	RAM	RAM	+24kBASIC +8kBLK5	+HIGHT RAM
RAM		RAM	RAM	RAM	EMPTY	+3k +24kBASIC		+HIGHT RAM

SIDE NOTE: O.S. never settled as "unexpanded"
"Two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I am not yet completely sure about the universe." (Albert Einstein)
javierglez
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by javierglez »

I'm going a bit offtopic now, but I'd say FileBrowser automatically changes the memory configuration, depending upon the file's load address. It does this with Tetris for sure.
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

javierglez wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 10:38 am I'm going a bit offtopic now, but I'd say FileBrowser automatically changes the memory configuration, depending upon the file's load address. It does this with Tetris for sure.
Probably yes,
but JOLLY CARTRIDGE cannot force you to use a specific SW, but you can choose the configuration that's right for you
(or choose a "SMART RAM + ROM chip")
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Here we go with the fourth (and last, after Sorcery, Jump Jet, and ACE) cartridge package. It's the Unexpanded games collection we talked about at the very beginning of our post. I know from Max that the four cartridges are on their way to my desk :D , so time to start printing!
Attachments
Unexp_front.jpg
Unexp_label.jpg
Unexp_side.jpg
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

Max, did you see my PM about ordering boards from you?
MCes
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MCes »

doug_in_nc wrote: Fri Nov 12, 2021 7:50 am Max, did you see my PM about ordering boards from you?
My apologies for the delay (I lost it! :shock: )
tomorrow I will be able to answer about the shipment

Another information about JOLLY CARTRIDGE "naked board" version:
the PCB factory can't made the "45°fingers chamfered" because the PCB has a dimension too small,
then whoever chooses the "naked board" will have to smooth the two edges with a nail file or other tool.
The other versions (proto, games, ...) will be supplied with the edges already rounded.
doug_in_nc
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by doug_in_nc »

OK, that's no problem.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Jolly carts received today. Thank you Max :) :) :)
Attachments
IMG_20211117_181142_HDR~3.jpg