AM2764 Replacements

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

AM2764 Replacements

Post by chysn »

For about a year, I've been using AMD 2764 EPROMs for my cartridges. My programmer doesn't support very high voltages, and the AMDs can be programmed at 12.5V, which is perfect. And they're super-reliable; I've only had two go bad on me.

But my stock of these is dwindling, and they're getting more expensive. A year ago, I could pick them up for $1.50 (USD) to $2.00, as many as I wanted. Now, it's common to see AMD 2764s going for up to $6 with shipping, and I don't see the lots of 10 chips as much.

In response, I've started evaluating EEPROMs, the 28C64B. These cost as much as AMD 2764s were a year ago, and it's kind of nice not to have to erase them with UV. They seem to be able to replace the 2764 with no modifications, even on the original Commodore cartridge PCBs.

Are there any caveats to using 28C64Bs as direct 2764 replacements that I haven't observed?
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Mike
Herr VC

Re: AM2764 Replacements

Post by Mike »

chysn wrote:Are there any caveats to using 28C64Bs as direct 2764 replacements that I haven't observed?
Not any that I am aware of. The 2864 EEPROM is supposed to work as drop-in replacement in any design that otherwise hosts a 2764 EPROM.

Some more details here: ROM replacement options (split/OT from: WIP: MINIMON)
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: AM2764 Replacements

Post by chysn »

Mike wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:59 am Some more details here: ROM replacement options (split/OT from: WIP: MINIMON)
Thanks... Heh, it seems like I asked this question almost exactly a year ago, in a slightly different way!

I guess I just didn't have the financial pressure to experiment with it before. I bought enough 28C64Bs to last me a few years, assuming modest sales growth with new cartridges.

Knowing this, I might pick up some 28C16s and try populating 8K (VIC-1110) cartridges again. I was never able to get an 8K cartridge to host a pair of 2716s. One, but never two.