Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Space Invaders / Connect-4

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

Just uploaded a couple of 'new' games:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9974&start=15#p113397

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9974&start=15#p113398

First one is a Space Invaders clone (yes, another space invaders, please, don't be too hard on me :oops: )

Second one is my version of the table game 'Four in a Row'

I tried to develop these two games 40 years ago, when I got my VIC-20. At that time, I found that BASIC was not fast enough for them. 40 years later, I have had great fun learning Assembler to develop them.

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Space Invaders / Connect-4

Post by beamrider »

Thanks for this.

The Invaders game is truly excellent - probably the closest to the arcade on the Vic, knocking the Commodore Avenger cartridge from the top spot IMO.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Thanks for trying it. And thanks for the feedback!. I’m glad you liked it!

Cheers
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Wow, can't wait to try Space Invaders on my green monitor! (Un)fortunately, I am currently on vacation abroad, but will do ASAP.

Thank you so much for this 😊
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Thanks!. Yes a green monitor is the perfect screen for it :wink: . I hope you like it when you try it.

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

btw, one small thing I noticed.

In the attract screen the upside down Y in Pla^ should be swapped for a Y not the other way around.

https://youtu.be/jq6-krwCkbc?t=45
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:28 am btw, one small thing I noticed.

In the attract screen the upside down Y in Pla^ should be swapped for a Y not the other way around.

Hey, yes!, thanks for pointing that out. You're right, in the original, the alien changes the inverted Y by the normal Y, and not the other way around! I will change that, in order to stick to the original as much as possible!.

Thanks
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 6:28 am btw, one small thing I noticed.

It is fixed now. I have also increased dificulty a bit, after Ian's observation and also made some other minor adjustments.
New .prg file available from the same link.

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Thanks, must say it seems a bit too hard now, they seem to drop too many bombs. Perhaps set difficulty half way between the last release and this?
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:34 pm Thanks, must say it seems a bit too hard now, they seem to drop too many bombs. Perhaps set difficulty half way between the last release and this?
Yes, sure!. Will try to get something intermediate between the previous one and this one…

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Wed Jul 07, 2021 4:34 pm Thanks, must say it seems a bit too hard now, they seem to drop too many bombs. Perhaps set difficulty half way between the last release and this?
Done. Should be easier now. :D

Thanks
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Thanks!

I managed 3420 on this new version, but sure I can do more.

Difficulty seems about same as the Arcade original now.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Much better - 3620 on my first go on the new one.

Still seems a little too easy but it is enjoyable - is the shooting / missile a little too fast with little delay between shots?
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

I compared it against the 1978 Tatio Original in MAME and noticed a few of minor differences:

- On the original, the alien explosion effect lasts about 20 frames or 1/3 of a second during which time you can't fire again.
- The base ship can move slightly faster, covering the width of the screen in 5 seconds compared to 6 on the Vic.
- On the original there is a point where the first and last column of the Aliens cannot be shot as the range of the base is restricted.

I think these added together would make it a fair bit harder and you then might need to reduce the bombing rate again.

At the moment, it feels fairly similar in difficulty to me perhaps slightly easier.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

beamrider wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:47 pm I compared it against the 1978 Tatio Original in MAME and noticed a few of minor differences:

- On the original, the alien explosion effect lasts about 20 frames or 1/3 of a second during which time you can't fire again.
- The base ship can move slightly faster, covering the width of the screen in 5 seconds compared to 6 on the Vic.
- On the original there is a point where the first and last column of the Aliens cannot be shot as the range of the base is restricted.

I think these added together would make it a fair bit harder and you then might need to reduce the bombing rate again.

At the moment, it feels fairly similar in difficulty to me perhaps slightly easier.
Yes it was the repeat firing rate that seems a bit quick to me. I used to have a Zaccaria The Invaders clone of Taito and it was definitely more restrictive on firing rate.

I am still blown away by how accurate this is though after playing Alien Blitz and Avenger for the last 35 years or so :shock:

This has to be the best home computer version I have played.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready