Space Invaders / Connect-4

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: Space Invaders / Connect-4

Post by Lechuck »

orion70 wrote: Wed Feb 16, 2022 1:53 pm I'll never thank you enough for this, Lechuck. This adds immensely to my retro experience :D :D :D
Thanks a lot! That green monitor is, for sure, the perfect one for this game!. When I saw that picture, I thought you had ported the game to the PET. I had to look at it twice to realize it is a VIC-20 :D . Looks great with the VIC-1020 and the monitor, by the way.

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Just a thought, perhaps this could help tweak any sounds...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8447&p=93455&hilit=sfxedit#p93455
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Speaking of sounds, the arcade sound for alien footsteps is a bit longer and has 4 different notes (similar to alien blitz) while your version uses 2 notes only.

The missile sound is a little bit less acute and volume a bit more low.

PS: I suggest to start 1 player game also with fire from title screen.

We are talking of details of course, the porting is fantastic.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 6:29 am Just a thought, perhaps this could help tweak any sounds...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8447&p=93455&hilit=sfxedit#p93455
Didn't know it. Just downloaded. Looks great!, thanks

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

nbla000 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 am Speaking of sounds, the arcade sound for alien footsteps is a bit longer and has 4 different notes (similar to alien blitz) while your version uses 2 notes only.
Yes, I'm not very happy with that sound. It is one of the key things of the game and, in the arcade, sounds much better. Will try to improve it.
nbla000 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 am The missile sound is a little bit less acute and volume a bit more low.
Yes, idea is to try to improve sound effect for missiles by adding 'noise'. Regarding the volume I don't think I can do too much, since modifying the volume for missiles will also affect rest of sounds.
nbla000 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 am PS: I suggest to start also with fire from title screen (1 player of course)
Not sure what do you mean. Can you clarify?
nbla000 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 am We are talking of details of course, the porting is fantastic.
Thanks!
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Yes, I'm not very happy with that sound. It is one of the key things of the game and, in the arcade, sounds much better. Will try to improve it.
Take "inspiration" from Alien Blitz
Regarding the volume I don't think I can do too much, since modifying the volume for missiles will also affect rest of sounds.
Yeah... right too bad... but the tone is a bit too acute in my opinion.

nbla000 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 10:35 am PS: I suggest to start also with fire from title screen (1 player of course)
Not sure what do you mean. Can you clarify?
To start the game from Title Screen you have to press key 1, why not the fire button too?
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

nbla000 wrote: Thu Feb 17, 2022 11:53 am To start the game from Title Screen you have to press key 1, why not the fire button too?
Ah, sorry!. Yes, sure. Will include that.

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Hi,

I have uploaded a new 8k version (haven't modified the 3k one). Same download link as before:
viewtopic.php?f=15&t=9974&start=15#p113397

I have tried to follow your suggestions:

nbla000
- Game should now start centered depending on model (PAL/NTSC). I have used $EDE4 to provide initial values for $900/$9001 as you suggested. Option to center the screen using the cursor keys is still available.
- Pressing Joystick button in the presentation screen now starts the game in 1 Player mode.

beamrider
- I have included the 'explosion effect' for our shots/Invader's shots. But, since our base and mother ship are three characters wide, when the shot is very close but doesn't hit the target, it can happen that explosion is not shown (that would hide the original character). I'll need to think twice about this to see if I can improve it (in the original arcade there is no problem because explosion happens in the line above the mother ship or below our base, but in my case I'm using 'all' the available lines to avoid reducing height of the 'playable' area).

highinfidelity
- Presentation screen is now run in a loop
- ALien replacing the 'Y' now moves at bit level. I have also included invaders 'arm' when moving the letter (as it happens in the Arcade)

I have also tried to improve Alien's move sound by adding a couple of additional notes and making it a bit longer. Not a big difference (in my opinion), though. Regarding sound for our shots I tried including a white noise but it totally hides original sound so I have left as it was.

That's all (by now :) ). Thanks again for all your suggestions

Cheers
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Thanks for this.

It's looking great now. The addition of the explosions makes it seem even more polished.

As for the sounds effects, the explosions sounds are great now. I couldn't tell much difference to the invaders marching sound though. I took the liberty of using the tool I posted earlier to mock up how I think the notes should sound to closer match the arcade (attached) if you wanted to add the four note pattern.

Anyway, thanks once again!
Attachments
spaceinvadersSound.zip
(271 Bytes) Downloaded 57 times
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:33 pm Thanks for this.

It's looking great now. The addition of the explosions makes it seem even more polished.

As for the sounds effects, the explosions sounds are great now. I couldn't tell much difference to the invaders marching sound though. I took the liberty of using the tool I posted earlier to mock up how I think the notes should sound to closer match the arcade (attached) if you wanted to add the four note pattern.

Thanks for that, beamrider,

Yes, sure, will have a look to what you have attached. Very happy if I can finally get a better sound for the Aliens movement!

Cheers
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Lechuck wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 12:52 pm highinfidelity
- Presentation screen is now run in a loop
- ALien replacing the 'Y' now moves at bit level. I have also included invaders 'arm' when moving the letter (as it happens in the Arcade)
Perhaps never before any of my suggestions have been taken is such high consideration... :D

Thanks once again for all the extra work! Can't wait to try it out! 8)
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
Snarko
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Snarko »

Great update Lechuck, I just tested it and the new soundeffects made the game even closer to the original arcade and generally more pleasent to play. Listening to other vic-20-ports of space invaders made me realise how important soundeffects are when playing this game. :D
https://youtu.be/_Vofhs4yYr0?t=12
https://youtu.be/XLqnhzkrrx0?t=23
https://youtu.be/99oFmMdnE9o?t=9
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

Snarko wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 6:20 am Great update Lechuck, I just tested it and the new soundeffects made the game even closer to the original arcade and generally more pleasent to play. Listening to other vic-20-ports of space invaders made me realise how important soundeffects are when playing this game. :D
https://youtu.be/_Vofhs4yYr0?t=12
https://youtu.be/XLqnhzkrrx0?t=23
https://youtu.be/99oFmMdnE9o?t=9
Thanks Snarko, I'm very glad you liked it.

Cheers
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

beamrider wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:33 pm Thanks for this.

Ok, I see now that I missunderstood nbla00 when he said that original was using 4 notes (I was assuming he referred to a sound with 4 different notes in every movement). Now, looking at the file you have sent, (and listening carefully the arcade), I see you both meant that the original uses 4 different sounds instead of the two I had defined. I’ll make that change (using the notes you have sent) and will upload a new version when done.

Thanks
Lechuck
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Lechuck »

highinfidelity wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 2:35 am Thanks once again for all the extra work! Can't wait to try it out! 8)
Thanks to you. Presentation screen is much better now, after your suggestions :)

Cheers