VIC 20 L3 Component

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

jonwarby
Vic 20 Newbie

VIC 20 L3 Component

Post by jonwarby »

Hi,
Does anyone know what the part is at L3 please? I have a working VIC 20 but this component looks like it's had some heat damage so I would like to replace it. I have searched but I cant find a component list that includes this part.
Attachments
1622837876752.jpg
Mike
Herr VC

Re: VIC 20 L3 Component

Post by Mike »

Hi, Jon,

according to the Technical Manual, with your 2-prong mainboard, L3 is a coil inductor with 2.2 µH (see page 9).

It is placed in the +5V supply rail of the video chip. As long as you get a picture, you won't need to replace it. What you see is just some protective plastic foil coming off as it lost elasticity over the years.

Welcome to Denial! :)

Michael
jonwarby
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: VIC 20 L3 Component

Post by jonwarby »

Thank you for the fast response and the welcome. that's really appreciated. I wont mess then if it's safe and if it's part of the video circuit it doesn't sound like it's going to do any harm. I will get get it cleaned up and focus on enjoying it.
Just picked this up today to help diagnose the issue with my other Vic 20 which has turned out to be the character rom. The keyboard on this one feels much nicer my other VIC 20 with the C64 style power connector.