Discuss anything related to the VIC
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

"... I'm too old to start learning machine code!"

Post by Noizer »

Splitted from:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=797&start=135
"Trained VIC20 Games , Cheatcodes and Trainer Pokes"

I often heard in this forum something like ...
kokkiklhs wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:44 pm ... I'm too old to start learning machine code!
:roll:
I do not believe that. Anyone who is nowadays dealing with 8 bit systems from the 80's must have stayed young forever. :wink:
Every baby can click on colorful pictures with a mouse, but loading a program properly gives one or the other a headache, doesn't it?
I think it's more about how things are done. The right motivation would spark one's own interest.
I remember my first contact with machine code was to first play around with some data statements in the basic programs without really knowing what was going on.
Then it started getting funny when I realized that every byte had a significant meaning and that things could go a lot faster in MC.
I understood (gradually) how it worked, like raster FX, playing samples, interfaces to weird hardware, games, etc.
To start with, there are many books and references on internet, also specially treated here on denial under programming section.

viewforum.php?f=2

A simple loop like "1 POKE 36879,8:POKE36879,0:GOTO1" made in ML clearly shows the benefits.

BASIC Performance vs...
BASIC.png
...Machine code
ML.png
So in ML one would write:

Code: Select all

start LDA #$08
      STA $900F
      LDA #$00
      STA $900F
      JMP start
Sure, you'll need an assembly language or monitor program to start coding, but many programs like vicmon aren't such a bad choice for beginners.
You could take a look on cross programming section, if you have only access to PC. Otherwise try something under basic to develop a feeling what is possible.

EDIT: VICE Emulator is of course a quick and dirty way to knock in some ml code and see what happens ...

When I have more spare time I will post some references.

BR
Last edited by Noizer on Wed May 19, 2021 9:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: "... I'm too old to start learning machine code!"

Post by Jeff-20 »

Sounds like you're talking to me... :D
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
crusti
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by crusti »

I'm started out on my 6502 adventure at 50 and I'm loving it, slow progress but I like to understand every bit I've learn as I go. (no pun intended)
I used to code in z80 many moons ago so its not an alien language to me but still very different.
WAX is the way start, mixing MC and bits of basic for the things I cant quite figure out yet.
Chrysn is legend just for WAX, a very helpful guy,
crusti
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by crusti »

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

This thread feels like it was written for me! I've wanted to learn machine language on the VIC for....well, ever since I first heard about it (1980?)!
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

crusti wrote: Sun May 16, 2021 6:21 am Chrysn is legend just for WAX, a very helpful guy,
You're too kind, but I'm glad you're finding wAx useful. :)
ral-clan wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 7:55 pm This thread feels like it was written for me! I've wanted to learn machine language on the VIC for....well, ever since I first heard about it (1980?)!
The best thing to do is start a project, and then make a thread in the Programming section. You'll find lots of help here.

I doubt whether there's such a thing as "too old to start," but timeframes and motivations vary. I've noticed that my ability to learn radically new systems has gradually diminished. That's why we go into management, right? Meanwhile, I get better and better at the stuff I already know, and I can provide guidance to the next generation. I asked a member of my team to use a bitfield to store a large set of Yes/No options, and I wound up having to explain the whole concept from theory to implementation. At the same time, I'm fortunate to have people on my team who patiently answer my questions about Angular. So age is a factor, but one that has advantages as well as disadvantages.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
kokkiklhs
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by kokkiklhs »

Noizer wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 9:57 am Splitted from:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=797&start=135
"Trained VIC20 Games , Cheatcodes and Trainer Pokes"

I often heard in this forum something like ...
kokkiklhs wrote: Sun May 09, 2021 12:44 pm ... I'm too old to start learning machine code!
:roll:
I do not believe that. Anyone who is nowadays dealing with 8 bit systems from the 80's must have stayed young forever. :wink:
Every baby can click on colorful pictures with a mouse, but loading a program properly gives one or the other a headache, doesn't it?
I think it's more about how things are done. The right motivation would spark one's own interest.
Very well said, and I totally agree with you, I really feel very young despite my physical age, but my main problem is NOT the age itself, but the millions of irrelevant obligations that go with it! Learning MC is a quite interesting but difficult thing, needs LOTS of time and TONS of concentration, unfortunately I don't have either of them right now... :roll:
Perhaps after I get my pension (if I ever do)???
:mrgreen: