Letters on Tape(Or Disk)

Discuss anything related to the VIC
grondinm
Vic 20 Amateur

Letters on Tape(Or Disk)

Post by grondinm »

Maybe this should go in off-topic but here it is in general.

So i just found out about SpeedScript for the Vic-20 and i must say i am impressed with what it manages to do on the hardware. I very much want to use it and plan to type it in(yes i know i can find a prg or d64 of it but don't take my fun away).

Would anyone be interested in exchanging letters on tapes or disk through snail mail?

I've been looking for pen pals recently and i think this could be a fun and unique way to communicate.
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Letters on Tape(Or Disk)

Post by chysn »

When I was in middle school, I did some actual school assignments with SpeedScript. I never typed it in myself, but I had one or two classmates that did.

Before I learned machine language and understood what was going on with all those numbers, I would correct checksum problems by arbitrarily adding to values on the line. Needless to say, my type-in career didn't have a stellar track record.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

A bit of a tangent: I'm surprised there was never a version SpeedScript for the PET like there was for almost every other in the 8-bit line.
Seems like with its nice crisp monitor, 80 columns (on the 8000 models), good RAM availability and nice keyboard it would have been a fine match.
Also, I'm surprised no-one has done it in the years since, as a port between Commodore 8-bit models of text-only software (no graphics/no sound) is usually a fairly straightforward thing.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
grondinm
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by grondinm »

I had a blast typing it in. Took 3-4 sessions of a couple hours each. Had to do an extra session since i managed to corrupt my save on tape. Thank god for MLX otherwise i would have made many mistakes i know. I actually found the Machine language easier to type in then BASIC.

If i understood anything about anything i would attempt the PET port as that sounds like an interesting project for sure. Plus i don't even have a PET so...