Cheese and Onion

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Cheese and Onion

Post by chysn »

wAx sells pretty well on cartridge, so I occasionally need to restock on PCBs and cases from TFW8B. When I do this, I usually pick up an extra something for fun. This time around, I got the Cheese and Onion cartridge.

Yeah, I know I'm several years late on the draw, but the game is awesome. "2D platformer" is one of my favorite genres, and C&O has plenty of gradually-revealed mechanics to keep things interesting. The survivable fall height strangely varies widely from screen to screen, but the game doesn't seem to keep track of lives or time, so you can eventually learn screens without having to start over.

If you haven't tried it yet, it's worth playing. I'm not yet sure why I'm collecting onions, but I'm sure they're vitally-important for something.
VIC-20 Projects: wAx Assembler, TRBo: Turtle RescueBot, Helix Colony, Sub Med, Trolley Problem, Dungeon of Dance, ZEPTOPOLIS, MIDI KERNAL, The Archivist, Ed for Prophet-5

WIP: MIDIcast BASIC extension

he/him/his
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Cheese and Onion

Post by Vic20-Ian »

You have to "Know your onions" .....an English / American phrase

"He knows his onions"

Maybe all will be revealed when you have collected enough to know.

p.s. I got hold of a copy last week and Spaceship 1 which is a fun Flappy Bird crossed with Scramble variant
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Ha! I've never heard that expression in the American Midwest. Rather, we usually say that one "knows their shit." But a game where you go around collecting shit might not be welcome.

I'm getting interested now in contributing something to the platformer VIC-20 literature, so I'm checking out what's out there. I've got a copy of Astro Nell coming on cassette. I have mixed feelings about that one, in terms of playability and level design; but there's plenty to admire about it. IMO, the gold standard in VIC-20 platformers is still Lode Runner.

Anybody have a favorite platform game for the VIC-20, expanded or not?
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

chysn
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by chysn »

Kweepa wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 4:46 pm Poop-themed platformer trilogy (from the 2013 Speccy Crap Games Compo)
I guess I can’t be too surprised.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Poop-themed games for ZX Spectrum... 🤔
Similia similibus curantur
:mrgreen: