Saving listings from new version of VICE?

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Saving listings from new version of VICE?

Post by necronom »

Until the last few days I've been using Vice 3.1 and saving listings by changing the Peripheral Settings for Printer #4 to be File System. Then I do open1,4:cmd1:list:print#1:close1 and it "kind of" works, then I do LIST again and eventually end up with a proper listing after cutting incomplete bits of listings that is creates for some reason.

Now I have V3.5 and go to Printer #4 and select File System Access, and do the same command, and after the pause (while it's doing the listing) I can't find a file that it was supposed to create. I've done lots of searches and tried with a full path instead of just having viceprnt.out in the box.

Does anyone know what I'm doing wrong? I've had to go back to the older one to get the listing for a game that gives a syntax error on the Vic, and I want to try to fix it to grab some video footage for YouTube.
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Saving listings from new version of VICE?

Post by Mike »

First of all, these commands need to be put in two lines, i.e.:

OPEN1,4:CMD1:LIST (+[RETURN])

and then

PRINT#1:CLOSE1 (+[RETURN])

as the LIST command terminates the execution of the current line: in the one-line version, PRINT# and CLOSE don't get executed at all. And as long as the CLOSE command isn't given, VICE doesn't create a viceprnt.out file.

BTW, it is not necessary the use the printer output facility of VICE for this. You can likewise list out to a text file that is held in a directory of the host PC with VICE VDrive. Instead of mounting a *.d64, you mount a PC directory (see Peripheral settings, this needs TDE off and Virtual device traps on and "save *.P00" *unchecked*!), and then type: OPEN2,8,2,"FILENAME,S,W":CMD2:LIST and PRINT#2:CLOSE2, again in two lines.

Note the result will still be PETSCII, and you'll need a tool like my "petscii.c" for this (see here), so you get the graphics characters in a human-readable form.

(mod: thread moved to Emulation and Cross Development section as appropriate)
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Thanks Mike.

I got the printer method working now. The other one said READY, but I couldn't find the file anywhere. At least I can get the listing now, and I have looked at the game, fixed it in a hex editor (the line was much too long to edit even using abbreviated commands), and it seems to be running :-)

Oh, and sorry for putting this in the wrong area :oops:
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Note the result will still be PETSCII, and you'll need a tool like my "petscii.c" for this (see here), so you get the graphics characters in a human-readable form.
Or, you could just skip the entire process with using the emulator, and pipe the .prg file through petcat (which comes with VICE) instead :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Thanks, that works great, too.
petcat -2 -o test.txt -- "Star Quest.prg"
That gives me a great listing, though I'm not convinced by the indenting to keep the lines starting at the same place after the line numbers.