Trying to copy PRG from TAP to D64.

You need an actual VIC.

Moderator: Moderators

necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Trying to copy PRG from TAP to D64.

Post by necronom »

I'm trying to get a proper working version of The Perils of Willy onto my Vic-20. All the working ones give an extra life for each note collected, and the ones with correct lives have no music and a corrupt score. I have a TAP file that works in VICE, but when I try to use DirMaster to copy the PRG (144 blocks) to a blank D64 (664 blocks) I get an error: Not enough space on disk. It does this even with a D81

I read something about TapClean, but that didn't seem to do anything when I ran it.

Can anyone help, or does anyone have a d64 or prg of The Perils of Willy that works on a real 16k Vic-20 with music, score and no cheats on the lives?
Mike
Herr VC

Re: Trying to copy PRG from TAP to D64.

Post by Mike »

necronom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:19 amI have a TAP file that works in VICE, but when I try to use DirMaster to copy the PRG (144 blocks) to a blank D64 (664 blocks) I get an error: Not enough space on disk.
:?: :?: :?:

Are you trying to load the tap file as prg??? 144 blocks would never fit into the VIC-20 RAM, not even with RAM expansion in BLK1..3.

You first have to extract the actual file(s) from the *.tap, if that is even possible (hint: copy protections and the like), *then* you can copy those files to disk.

And DirMaster has a somewhat unfortunate history of wrecking/corrupting disk images. For myself, I don't use it and rely on the command line tools of VICE instead.
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

I've opened the TAP file in DirMaster, which shows the PRG file. I then create a blank D64 and drag the PRG to the D64. It looks like this should work, but says the disk is full, when it's clearly much smaller than the disk.

I see what you mean about the block size. 78 or 79 is about the limit for 16k, so maybe this isn't possible, though the TAP file looks like it only loads a single file (MINER) to me and works in 16k in VICE. The tape goes for 117 tape counters.

I'll have a look at the VICE tools.
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

necronom wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:38 am I've opened the TAP file in DirMaster, which shows the PRG file. I then create a blank D64 and drag the PRG to the D64. It looks like this should work, but says the disk is full, when it's clearly much smaller than the disk.

I see what you mean about the block size. 78 or 79 is about the limit for 16k, so maybe this isn't possible, though the TAP file looks like it only loads a single file (MINER) to me and works in 16k in VICE. The tape goes for 117 tape counters.

I'll have a look at the VICE tools.
Hi, as discussed. Best regards
pow.zip
(8.92 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

This version above is the hacked version with extra life for every note.

Extracting from the TAP is needed to get the pure game archived in Gamebase and elsewhere.

You can use the Gamebase tap with Vice but it is difficult, short of remastering a tape to play the correct version on a real Vic20.

There is some protection as the tape is not easily readable by wav-prog and final tap etc.

Are there any tape / tap to prg experts that can extract the unhacked prg from the tap file?
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Noizer
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Noizer »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Tue Jan 26, 2021 7:53 am This version above is the hacked version with extra life for every note.

Extracting from the TAP is needed to get the pure game archived in Gamebase and elsewhere.

You can use the Gamebase tap with Vice but it is difficult, short of remastering a tape to play the correct version on a real Vic20.

There is some protection as the tape is not easily readable by wav-prog and final tap etc.

Are there any tape / tap to prg experts that can extract the unhacked prg from the tap file?
I extracted the above version indeed from tap, had no idea which version it is. Maybe I could try to extact the original too. Send my a PM with the Link to google drive or post the tap here
Valid rule today as earlier: 1 Byte = 8 Bits
-._/classes instead of masses\_.-
necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Noizer, one of those TAP files I got from Ian (PERWILLY.TAP), and the other I found from an older topic on this forum, or might have just had for a while. The thing is, it works in VICE. On a real Vic they give extra lives, which is bizarre.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

I just loaded this one and it seems to be correct with no extra life for collecting a note.

Please advise how you extract from TAP as the tools I have are not working very well. Thank you.
Pow.rar
(300.07 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
Vic20-Ian

ops
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by ops »

This version is extracted from a tape with real VIC.

perils-of-willy.zip
(9.13 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Ops - many thanks. Problem solved.

This is the unhacked version. I tested it on Vice and Vic20 and it works great.

Thank you.
Vic20-Ian

necronom
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by necronom »

Brilliant! Thanks a lot, ops, and Ian and Noizer for having a go at it.
Finally I can play the proper version and do MUCH worse than before since I'll only have a few lives :lol: