What games have a retained playfield > 1 screen?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

What games have a retained playfield > 1 screen?

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Lots of Vic20 games are constrained to one screen.

I am interested to create a list of games with a playfield that is greater than one screen that is retained and can be revisited.

Examples include:

Choplifter - Cartridge - several screen wide scrolling playfield, bi directional scrolling. Shooter/ Rescue
Cheese and Onion - Cartridge (Modern) - Extended playfield 63x23 beyond visible screen and rooms. Platform game
Frantic - 3.5K - Endless falling starscape with left right scrolling and thrust to slow descent - Aliens retain relative location
Protector - Cartridge - several screen wide scrolling playfield, bi directional scrolling - Shooter / Defender / Rescue
Radar Rat Race / Rally X - Cartridge - small window 4 way scrolling playfield - Maze Pursuit Game
Scorpion - Tronix - Cartridge - small window 4 way scrolling playfield - Maze? Shooter
Sidewinder - Cartridge - several screen wide scrolling playfield, bi directional scrolling - Shooter / Defender
Skyhawk - 3K or 8K - 1 screen high, several screen wide scrolling playfield, bi directional scrolling - Shooter
Spiders of Mars - Cartridge - several screen wide scrolling playfield, bi directional scrolling - Shooter / Defender
Star Defender, Star Defence -16k - several screen wide scrolling playfield, bi directional scrolling - Shooter / Defender
Super Starship Space Attack - 16K (Modern) smaller window - Vertical bi directional scroller - Shooter / Collect

Games I would not include are things like:

Scramble and Fire Galaxy where terrain is more than one screen wide but you cannot return and revisit it.
Space Pilot (if it existed) would not be included as it does not seem to be a retained playfield.
Perils of Willy and Berzerk have retained rooms but not scrolling playfield.

Are there more scrolling playfield games?

Are there any that are more than 2x2 screens or 4x1 screen?
Last edited by Vic20-Ian on Tue Jan 19, 2021 10:32 am, edited 6 times in total.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Ola H
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Re: What games have a retained playfield > 1 screen?

Post by Ola H »

Interesting subject - this was something I was always very aware of as a kid. I was always fond of Scorpion, Supavaders , Spiders of Mars, Protector, Lunar Leeper and Radar Rat Race just because they scrolled at least bi-directionally and that things happened outside screen. And Choplifter of course!

All Defender clones also count. Sidewinder was especially interesting to me as it looked different.

Among newer games, Misfits' Super Starship Space Attack and Cheese & Onion stand out, I think.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: What games have a retained playfield > 1 screen?

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Thanks Ola - I like Scorpion as lot. I had not noticed this game before, I confused it with another game of the same name.

I am editing the top post and adding games suggested as I try them.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready