Sargon II
3%
Star Trek
4%

Total votes: 76

eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

bradw2k wrote:Hello! This is my first post. I fired up a Vic-20 for the first time in more than 20 years the other night -- I was very pessimistic that the hardware I had would actually work (bought off of ebay, and then my hookup to the TV was rather ... suspicious ;) ) -- but I was thrilled when the familiar blue screen showed up on channel 3! A very fuzzy signal, but I got used to that when I was 11.
One of the first things I discovered about the VIC when I got mine is how much nicer the picture is when you use channel 4 on the modulator instead of channel 3.

My grandfather had died the year before and I had inherited his big BW TV. Nonethless, I do remember, when set to channel 4, using the standard modulator and 300 Ohms switch adaptor that came by default with the VIC, the picture was fish-eyed by the very roundish picture tube but it was very sharp and clean.
PaulQ
undead vic

Post by PaulQ »

eslapion wrote: My grandfather had died the year before and I had inherited his big BW TV. Nonethless, I do remember, when set to channel 4, using the standard modulator and 300 Ohms switch adaptor that came by default with the VIC, the picture was fish-eyed by the very roundish picture tube but it was very sharp and clean.
You and me both, brother. My best memories using a Vic 20 was while it was hooked up to a late 1960's era black and white TV. Man, those were the days. I wonder if it's still around?
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

DigitalQuirk wrote:You and me both, brother. My best memories using a Vic 20 was while it was hooked up to a late 1960's era black and white TV. Man, those were the days. I wonder if it's still around?
Now THAT's what somebody should bring to the ECCC!! A nice 1950's or 60's huge sized BW TV with a nice traditional VIC-20 hookup!
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

DigitalQuirk wrote: You and me both, brother. My best memories using a Vic 20 was while it was hooked up to a late 1960's era black and white TV. Man, those were the days. I wonder if it's still around?
Haha! Yes, I used my Commodore 64 for many years on a black & white TV made by the Ford Motor Company (I'm not kidding). Played most of Ultima IV on that one.

I probably got a bunch of radiation from that one! :shock:
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

When I was a kid, we had two TV's in the summer cottage: one with video (B/W of course), one with audio as both were partially broken. They were put on top of each other. I suppose my dad had some special antenna cable to connect them both, or we used aerial antenna?

Later on, we bought a second-hand colour TV with both video and audio in one unit. Wow! It was even manufactured by AGA, the gas company!

I wonder if kids of today would believe us when we tell them not only were TV's black and white and lacked a remote, but some of us had to reuse even partially broken TV's to get one working set. Anyway, isn't that what "TV set" means, a combination of units to make one set?
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Star Defence 16k by Anirog - awesome Defender / Stargate clone, probablt the best defender on any platform try on fast mode (f5 or f7). Those swirling lasers effects and sounds have to be the best on the Vic. Try killing all the people and smart bombing the mutants after the planet explodes. Survive 4 waves in the dark to redeem yourself. Whatever happened to Firebomber Showdown on wave 10, they never showed up for me? Also remember the curiously sexually? titled wave 5 "Yllabian Dogfight"

Myriad 8k - by Rabbit - has excellent sound and you can leave invaders from one wave on screen while moving on to next level. The sound just gets better and better. You can get a real mix of invaders, galaxians and asteroids going on at the same time.

Jeff Minter - for awesome sonix and gameplay except maybe Traxx and Andes Attack. I have a prized copy of Viva Vic the Vic20 Collection!

Gridrunner
Matrix
Laser Zone
Hell Gate
Abductor
Meta Llamas

Perils of Willy for hard better than Spectrum Manic Miner fun

Skyhawk 3k - spent ages playing this, good flying fun.

ACE 8k by Cascade the Cassette 50 people - great flight sim with air to air and air to ground

Jetpac 8k - spent many hours on this, great fun

Arcadia - supremely hard 3.5k shooting

Frantic - the endless falling and great storyline and blasting

Cyclons - just discovered the unusually smooth circular movement and shooting fun

For cartridges : probably Omega Race, Jelly Monsters and Gorf

Oh and Bonzo is good but i hate that rat!
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Vic20-Ian wrote: Oh and Bonzo is good but i hate that rat!
What rat?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Whatever that goofy buck toothed B@$&^*£ is that chases you around.
Vic20-Ian

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

There are many green monster-men chasing you while you are climbing ladders. Are we talking about the same game?
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Bonzo by Udo Gertz I think, very large character of a mouse? climbing ladders and sliding down slides persued by a rat? Kavan Software?

OOPS it was Bongo!
Vic20-Ian

Spectrum
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Spectrum »

I voted for Garden Wars. It was my first and favourite game when I was a kid.

Now I'm re-discovering other old glories too. When, last October, I got my Vic20 back to work, my joystick was already dead. So I couldn't play to Omega Race, for example.
I am waiting for a new joystick (it's on the way by ebay) and perhaps I should have waited to get it before to vote.
But let's say my vote is based on my memories and feelings. I've a lot of fond memories related to the Vic and its games, but -among the games available in the poll- I think Garden Wars is the one I loved more.
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

Out of that rather unusual list I voted for Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time, but there are plenty of games better than that, although it's a good one.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

16KVIC20 wrote:Out of that rather unusual list I voted for Metagalactic Llamas Battle at the Edge of Time, but there are plenty of games better than that, although it's a good one.
Unusual? The users here nominated them...
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I think it just shows how different we all are. If we just take the Minter titles for example, I like Metagalactic a sit is a really original idea, but I'm not sure it counts as a "Best Game". As for Gridrunner, a classic, certainly, but I would say that Hellgate is the superior revision of this title, and as such is better, and so was surprised to see Gridrunner instead.

VIC 20 Ian's list is closer to a "Best of" list that I would make. There is one serious ommission though, Blitz! That is the ultimate, just one more turn. Are we allowed new games? If so Tetris+ should definitely be in there.
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

16KVIC20 wrote:Are we allowed new games? If so Tetris+ should definitely be in there.
How about a new best games thread now that there are more new members? Feel free to start one. I would nominate Omega Race in that one as well.