Sargon II
3%
Star Trek
4%

Total votes: 76

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Boray wrote:Paddles jittering - It's just the pots in them going bad. The more you use them, the better they will get. Try to just turn them for a while and they will improve. There are also different sprays you can spray into them, but that is not recommended by everyone. I did that on the volume controll of my stereo (a spray called 5-56) and it became as new. 5-56 is my universal fixer. I even repaired a 1541 by spraying a tiny bit into the motor.
Leif a.k.a. Schema posted the other day in Usenet about his paddle problems. I wonder if he has taken measures as far as spraying the pots.

If I owned a pair of paddles or other analogue controller, I could probably knock together a simple ML testing program (if Basic is not good to test jitter). I could do it anyway, but I wouldn't know which results to expect.

On the other hand, there are other paddle games than Clowns - e.g. Pinball Spectacular or Raid on Fort Knox IIRC - which you could try just to see if the jitter effect is as visible in these games.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

carlsson wrote:On the other hand, there are other paddle games than Clowns - e.g. Pinball Spectacular or Raid on Fort Knox IIRC - which you could try just to see if the jitter effect is as visible in these games.
I've tried several VIC paddle games now - Skibbereen, Clowns, Pinball - the paddles jitter on all of them. However, paddle games on the C64 seem to work, with the same paddles.
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Schema wrote:I've tried several VIC paddle games now - Skibbereen, Clowns, Pinball - the paddles jitter on all of them. However, paddle games on the C64 seem to work, with the same paddles.
After suggestions that real Commodore paddles might work better, I tried a pair of genuine C= paddles on brain's VIC20 at SWRAP. They were awful! The jitter was so bad that they basically either read minimum, or maximum. I used Clowns as a test. I couldn't see how even cleaning could fix such a severe problem.

I did a few more tests on my "no-name" paddles (for Atari, I think) and found that only about 1/3 of the paddle range is used.

I'm tempted to try building my own, using brand new potentiometers to see if that complete solves the problem. It's probably not too hard.
sjakie43
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by sjakie43 »

this is fun :D but...

what about psycho shopper?is think it is better when you make
a bigger list because there are more then 10 GOOD games on the vic-20.

but if you persist in this small list i would say>>GORF<< :shock:

thanks you

sjakie 43
Demobase Vic20,C64,Plus4,Amiga and more..
Gamebase Vic20V01

VIC20+Megacart+ Tapuino tape loader
Ultimate 64 in transparant case+blue led
The C64 and The VIC20

https://archive.org/details/DemobaseVic20
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Is Omega Race still best Vic20 game? 8)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Of course!!! ;)
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
flicky
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by flicky »

Oops, my vote for Gridrunner just pushed Omega Race into second place :)

Both are great games though - I just think that Jeff Minter did the best Vic games overall.

Cheers
Jon
aneurysm
not your PAL

Post by aneurysm »

i couldn't vote for "Samus" - it wasn't in the poll

http://www.atariarchives.org/ccc/chapter1.php
that link tells you about how to modify the paddles so you can use the whole pot (instead of just 1/3 of it) with resisters added to the circuit
the chip that reads the paddle postion (VIA 1 or 2) interprets it like a voltage meter digitally
i haven't actually tried it yet
'jitter-free' paddles are all over eBay
i asume the seller got them really cheap and just cleaned them up
or someone undug the landfill with all those Pac-Mans in it and found a bunch..... :roll:
Lozza
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Lozza »

Xeno II by Anirog - I paid £7.99 and worth every penny !

Matrix is better than Gridrunner....

Out of the options... I would pick Gorf - but where is Jetpac or Perils of Willy !?
Lloyd Mangram
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

That's the trouble of these type of 'favourite game' threads - A lot of people will not necessarily agree with the thread-starters choices!
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Lloyd Mangram wrote:That's the trouble of these type of 'favourite game' threads - A lot of people will not necessarily agree with the thread-starters choices!
If you're not happy, then just start another thread then... ;)

If you read the start of the thread, then you will see that I let everyone who wanted to, to nominate a game... I would not have included some of the games if it were just up to me...

/Anders
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I was going to suggests votations.com, but they have just closed business. However, if the VIC-20 community wishes to extend the activity to more than a forum (i.e. Denial becomes the general unifying VIC-20 resource), it is of course possible to set up off-forum polls about best, most underrated, most strange games etc.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
puterman
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by puterman »

Am I the only one to consider Cloudburst to be the best game ever?
Lozza
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Lozza »

puterman wrote:Am I the only one to consider Cloudburst to be the best game ever?
i reckon you might be ;)
oi oi saveloy