Sargon II
3%
Star Trek
4%

Total votes: 76

Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

I was pretty sure Rat Race would be in there too...
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Boray wrote:I was pretty sure Rat Race would be in there too...
Thats true. It should.

Well.. I did already vote Jupiter lander.. :P
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Boray wrote:I have not even heard of Carlsson's nomination ;)
Too bad, since it is one of the few games still available on Real Funet (as opposed to various Mirror Funets). You both learn geometry and some zoology in once. Don't forget to lower (or raise) the roof and keep spitting!
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I think there are still too many gaps in the selection to make a definitive "Best of".

Radar Rat Race is just one of the favorites not included. We also have yet to try some of the rarer games. There are many Euro releases I have yet to play. I am going to hold on voting.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Jeff-20 wrote:I think there are still too many gaps in the selection to make a definitive "Best of".
Exactly... no Matrix? No Jelly Monsters? No Ultima Mount Drash? :wink: :P

Okay, maybe I kid on the third one there... but the other two are brilliant for the hardware.
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Mikam73
2049er

Post by Mikam73 »

Mayhem wrote:
Jeff-20 wrote:
No Ultima Mount Drash? :wink: :P
Ok.. you started this.. :wink:

Is your Ultima NTSC or PAL version ?

I did download copy of Mount Drash for Vic20, but it seems to be NTSC version.. screen on really left and I can see only half of screen..

Couldnt move screen with arrows..

How is your version ?

8)
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

All copies are NTSC. It's off the left on my actual Vic20 and there is no screen repositioning available. Centred fine though in either video format within Vice however...
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Jeff-20 wrote:I think there are still too many gaps in the selection to make a definitive "Best of".
Well, it's you who only allows for 10 options in a poll, and I can't help that people just nominate their own favourites instead of yours... ;)

Mayhem, Matrix??? I think that is one really boring game. But it is one of the two cart games I have, but under the strange name "Attack of the Mutant camels".

I would happily put in Jelly Monsters, Rat Race, Traxx, Clowns and Sky is falling in there.

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Mayhem wrote:All copies are NTSC. It's off the left on my actual Vic20 and there is no screen repositioning available. Centred fine though in either video format within Vice however...
Are you speaking about your original or the (two) copies floating around on FTP? I just realized something:

* The D64 image with three files (mimicking the tape load) is "NTSC only", since the boot file does POKE 36864,PEEK(36864)AND128 OR 5
* The Pucrunched, one-filed version doesn't reposition screen, and thus will work equally well in both NTSC and PAL (it is 22x23 resolution anyway)

Thus, by breaking the main program on opening screen (unless the original has a break protection?) and entering POKE 36864,12:CONT, it should play fine on PAL too.
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I was refering to the onefile PRG there... interesting... no position reset.

I've made a TAP of my original so I'll load that up in both NTSC and PAL and see if I get the screen off centre for the latter...
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I think you only need to load the first part and list it. According to the disk version, screen repositioning happens as follows:

Boot: POKE 36864,6:Display Intro:POKE 36864,5:POKE 36864,4:LOAD
Main: POKE 36865,27:POKE 36865,25 (some effect?)

Default NTSC values are 5 and 25 as you know. Worth noticing is that the vertical shake effect is unchanged in the one-filed version, so whenever it happens on a PAL machine, screen will go almost out of sight anyway.

It also means that if you ever see a true PAL EMD for sale, it most probably is a bootleg. :lol:
Anders Carlsson

Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

Well it's off centre on my UMD TAP with PAL xVic, so I guess that's true to form then...
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

vic user wrote:but, of all the planets to pick, they had to pick one that we will never be able to land on.

Mars lander sounds fine to me.
Hey guys - I was rereading this and just have to brag a bit. I just got a new job - I am working on the Pheonix Mars Lander!

http://mars.jpl.nasa.gov/missions/future/phoenix.html

So I started years and years ago playing Jupiter Lander on my VIC-20, now I'm working on the real thing! So cool! :D
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

That's fantastic Leif!

I am very envious!

All the best of luck and good times with you upcoming work!

Chris
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I suppose this lander is not powered by a 6502 ? :lol:
Anders Carlsson