SD2IEC for VIC-20

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

paulmil18
Vic 20 Newbie

Re: SD2IEC for VIC-20

Post by paulmil18 »

Thanks...making some headway and learning a lot here!

So, the firmware information printed as: 73 SD2IEC V1.0.0ATENTDEAD0-24 0 0

I attached some pictures of each version I used to get this information.

I'm still having the intermittent saving issues. Sometimes my programs save in full, other times, the same programs will save truncated. I even turn the VIC-20 off and go with a clean LOAD from tape, and SAVE to SD. I can't find the sweet spot that works every time.

In the meantime, I have a minor workaround. I SAVE the program to the SD, and if it saves in full, I transfer it to a laptop. After I get all the programs saved correctly, I'll format an SD card and then copy them from the laptop (unless another solution presents itself.)

I might point out that without the manual, there are two switches on the back of the SD2IEC labeled "on" (on top) and 1 and 2 (on bottom). The unit arrived with both switching down (on the 1 and the 2). Does anyone know what these might be for and what position I should keep them in?

Thanks everyone for all the assistance, and I would ask that is anyone else had had this problem and solved it, please post your solution.

Thanks again to all!

Paul
Attachments
20180507_174825.jpg
20180507_174337.jpg
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

Line 1 has a small bug
grmplfpfl :) sorry :=)

looks like you have a fairly recent firmware there, it should work fine with your cards and vic20. no reason not to update it however :)
I'm just a Software Guy who has no Idea how the Hardware works. Don't listen to me.
paulmil18
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paulmil18 »

I still can't figure out why it keep truncating only certain programs. I've even tried adding the 8K Expander, LOADing (not running) an unexpanded program, saving to the SD card, removing the expander, and LOADing from the SD card. Still truncated in the same spot.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

First thing that comes to mind - have you got another VIC-20 or a C64 to try it with?
paulmil18
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paulmil18 »

Actually, I do. I hadn't thought of that as it does seem to work to some degree, and only certain programs are affected. I'll give that a try tonight after work. Thanks for the idea!
srowe
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by srowe »

paulmil18 wrote: I might point out that without the manual, there are two switches on the back of the SD2IEC labeled "on" (on top) and 1 and 2 (on bottom). The unit arrived with both switching down (on the 1 and the 2). Does anyone know what these might be for and what position I should keep them in?
They're probably to select the device number, 8, 9, 10, 11.
norm8332
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by norm8332 »

You could mount a blank D64 and try saving to that? I usually use D64s or D81s for most things myself.
“In religion and politics people’s beliefs and convictions are in almost every case gotten at second-hand, and without examination... whose opinions about them were not worth a brass farthing.”

-Autobiography of Mark Twain
paulmil18
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paulmil18 »

Well, I tried a SAVE to an SD card using a different VIC-20. Same program truncation. I even found that this happened to a Compute! program called Juggler (Jan 1983), but only the last line, 1240 gets removed. When I LOADed it from the SD card and tried to enter the last line manually, the VIC-20 locked up.

Another interesting issue I found...if I LOAD from the SD card and the program is not truncated, all the equipment works fine. If I LOAD from the SD card and the program IS truncated, I can't SAVE or LOAD from the SD2IEC again until I turn the VIC-20 off then back on. This only happens on the truncated programs.

And sometimes, I get lucky and the program doesn't truncate, at which point, SAVing and LOADing are fine. I find this VERY odd...and annoying.

Thanks for reading!

Paul
paulmil18
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by paulmil18 »

With all the advice and ideas, I think I've found a solution to my truncated games problem. I created a d64 on the SDcard and instead of saving the games to the root directory, I saved them to the d64. So far, no issues.

However, I'd like to not have to LOAD all the working ones from the tape again, so does anyone have some advice on moving files from the root directory to the d64?

Thanks!

Paul
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »