Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Basic and Machine Language

Moderator: Moderators

beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Re: Super Mario Bros for VIC-20

Post by beamrider »

Monochrome GameBoy style would be possible I guess, but looks terrible on a colour computer IMO.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by pixel »

beamrider wrote:Monochrome GameBoy style would be possible I guess, but looks terrible on a colour computer IMO.
Your screen designer would need to support making sprite masks then. You should really go open-source with it and enjoy the mix of shame and fame. I'd go for the ride on Github if I was you. :twisted:
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

eslapion wrote:@Kakemoms
Usually, on most men, you expect the moustache and the hair to have the same color so you could save one there.

The yellow suspender buttons could go away and the feet/shoes could also be the same color as the hair/moustache.
Yes, the Super Mario sprite is of only three colors.
mariosprites.png
mariosprites.png (6.13 KiB) Viewed 11057 times
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

pixel wrote:Oh, btw, that Mario example above doesn't match the VICs multicolour resolution. :)
There is nothing wrong with VIC's resolution. Mario's just gotten fatter over time.
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Kakemoms wrote:There is nothing wrong with VIC's resolution. Mario's just gotten fatter over time.
Since Mario was actually inspired in the early 80s by Mario Segale, a New York real estate developer, he's probably dead or walking with a cane by now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Segale
Be normal.
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

eslapion wrote:
Kakemoms wrote:There is nothing wrong with VIC's resolution. Mario's just gotten fatter over time.
Since Mario was actually inspired in the early 80s by Mario Segale, a New York real estate developer, he's probably dead or walking with a cane by now.

Point being, if Nintendo doesn't need to pay royalties to Mario, neither should anyone else.
R'zo
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by R'zo »

Another possibility as far as color is concerned might be to choose a monochromatic color scale.

Examples
Black red pink and orange
Blue light blue purple light purple.

This would help with the issues of overlapping colors.

You could also feature only Luigi. His suit being green might help since since a lot of the background objects that he will overlap are also green.
Black white green and light blue would almost be a sufficient color scheme at this point.

If you do feel concerned about copywrites you could simply change the sprite graphics and game name. I think most of us would just love to have a good sidescroller for our vic. It does not necessarily have to be mario on the screen.
R'zo
I do not believe in obsolete...
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

Kakemoms wrote:
eslapion wrote:

Point being, if Nintendo doesn't need to pay royalties to Mario, neither should anyone else.
Not quite. If Nintendo rearranged Mr. Segale's look to fit their video game as well as reduced resolution and color palette, who cares if we lose a color or two to make it look acceptable on the VIC-20.
Be normal.
pixel
Vic 20 Scientist

Re:

Post by pixel »

R'zo wrote:Another possibility as far as color is concerned might be to choose a monochromatic color scale.
Good idea! Reddish scale for Mario, greenish for Luigi.

If I were to code something like that I'd go for an own jump-'n-run – that way I can decide myself when it's finished. ;)
A man without talent or ambition is most easily pleased. Others set his path and he is content.
https://github.com/SvenMichaelKlose
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

eslapion wrote:@Kakemoms
Usually, on most men, you expect the moustache and the hair to have the same color so you could save one there.

The yellow suspender buttons could go away and the feet/shoes could also be the same color as the hair/moustache.

BTW, I just saw a news article about the original SMB being completed in 5 minutes during a Summer Games Done Quick event.
A new world record has been made as well: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QJR7fasYlDw

If you choose to watch the world record breakdown video, I think we can assume that making a frame perfect clone on the Vic-20 is out of reach.. :shock:

Still, a clone would be nice. :roll:
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Kakemoms wrote:[...] we can assume that making a frame perfect clone [of SMB] on the Vic-20 is out of reach. :shock:
One can quite as well take the proved formula of the game mechanics, combine this with the necessary knowledge of what is actually possible with the VIC-20 (video) hardware, pour some own ideas and design into it, and then arrive at ...
Still, a clone would be nice. :roll:
... a nice Jump&Run with Cheese & Onion. :mrgreen:
Kakemoms
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by Kakemoms »

Mike wrote:One can quite as well take the proved formula of the game mechanics, combine this with the necessary knowledge of what is actually possible with the VIC-20 (video) hardware, pour some own ideas and design into it, and then arrive at ...

... a nice Jump&Run with Cheese & Onion. :mrgreen:
You make it sound easy.. :shock:

Here is a 2x2 Vic-20 version of Mario:
Mario2x2.png
Mario2x2.png (1.15 KiB) Viewed 10553 times
By doing color and highres-multicolor swapping on a line by line basis, you could show Mario as a combination of highres and multicolor such as this:
Mario2x2-combo.png
Mario2x2-combo.png (900 Bytes) Viewed 10553 times
Moving such a character horizontally would require some delicate pixel art for all steps (at least 4 different characters to "step" two pixel at at time).

To get background such as bushes to show up, one needs to do some raster tricks. The problem with that is that you only get 4-pixel resolution:
Mario-raster-bush.png
Mario-raster-bush.png (666 Bytes) Viewed 10553 times
The good thing is that this still shows behind Mario, and to get a much better version we can combine it with some highres black characters:
Mario-raster-bush-highres.png
Mario-raster-bush-highres.png (781 Bytes) Viewed 10553 times
Complicated? Well...
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

That was not quite what I was actually up to, but anyway ...
Kakemoms wrote:You make it sound easy.. :shock:
[...]
Complicated? Well...
... now you just need to go ahead and do a mock-up in fcbpaint! :mrgreen:

BTW, here's one I did for SMB3 some years ago, in the Pixelation forum, in MINIPAINT:

(download)
beamrider
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by beamrider »

Cool...

Now you just need to get fcbPaint to generate 60fps ;)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

beamrider wrote:Now you just need to get fcb[p]aint to generate 60fps ;)
<fx=deadpan style>You'd need to address that inquiry to tlr.</fx>

That being said, Victragic took inspiration from Dragonfire (Imagic), fcbpaint (its in-line splits) and tokra's and mine FLI modes (their 8x1 pixel attribute cells) - and made his interpretation of Pitfall! from it.