Vic20 game endings ??

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Mikam73
2049er

Vic20 game endings ??

Post by Mikam73 »

http://www.c64endings.co.uk/

Was there ending on some Vic20 games or always just Game Over ?

8)
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Re: Vic20 game endings ??

Post by ral-clan »

Mikam73 wrote:http://www.c64endings.co.uk/

Was there ending on some Vic20 games or always just Game Over ?

8)
After playing for hours on Sword of Fargoal and retrieving the sword from level 15, you would be rewarded with a simple screen that said something like "You have found the SWORD OF FARGOAL" with a little musical flourish. Kind of a letdown after all that work, but the game itself is great.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

hey ral-clan, have you read some of the stuff on the web about sword of fargoal?

here is one link:

home.arcor.de/cybergoth/gamesc/swordoffargoal.html

chris
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

vic user wrote:hey ral-clan, have you read some of the stuff on the web about sword of fargoal?

here is one link:

home.arcor.de/cybergoth/gamesc/swordoffargoal.html

chris
Oh, yeah, I've seen that site. It's great. Some guys ported Sword of Fargoal to Windows a few years ago and the conversion is fun too.

A funny story about Sword of Fargoal. Back in the early 1980s I used to play this game for HOURS and HOURS on the only TV in our house. You cannot pause the game or save it. When I would finally be down on level 10 or something my Mom would always tell me to get off the computer so the family could use the TV.....AUGH!

Also, there were a couple of times when I got the sword and brought it back to the surface. This literally took most of the day to do (what a time waster). It was very stressful because one had to work very hard to get to that point, and your character could die at any moment.

I remember how I finally got back up to LEVEL 1 and could see the staircase leading up to the surface (the end of the game). I was so excited. My little character went up the staircase and instead of seeing an ending screen I got:

SYNTAX ERROR IN XXXXXX
UNDEFINED BLAH BLAH (or something like that)
READY.

AAAAARGHHHH :shock: ! It appears there was an error in my copy, or some problem with my RAM expansion, because of the very few times I was able to almost complete the game, I got the same error.

It was only 20 years later, when I finally got an emulator version, that I was able to complete the game and see the disappointing end screen :lol:.

It might be the strange effect of nostalgia, but I still think the VIC-20 version, with its simpler graphics and smaller levels, is a better version than the later C64 Sword of Fargoal.
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

man, i thought i was dedicated when it came to Treasure of Tarmin on the intellii, trying to get to level 256 on hardest difficulty, but your stories blow me away.

glad you got to finish it!

chris
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

ahhh.. the family tv problem. How frustrating!

I've never seen the ending to the Scott Adams Adventure Land. It seems like I never have time to play it these days. Don't spoil it or me!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.