8bit Guy covers Super Expander and Prom Queen

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

8bit Guy covers Super Expander and Prom Queen

Post by Jeff-20 »

High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Re: 8bit Guy covers Super Expander and Prom Queen

Post by orion70 »

Hey, cool! Garfield with the Super Expander :) .
eslapion
ultimate expander

Post by eslapion »

orion70 wrote:Hey, cool! Garfield with the Super Expander :) .
Back in 1985, I had the program which generates Garfield with the SE and many other programs.

I lost them... :(

Added edit:
I see 2 RAM chips of 2k x 8 on the PROMQUEEN but Mr. 8bit Guy says it has 8k of RAM !!! Not exactly a genius there...
Last edited by eslapion on Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Be normal.
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

>80 000 views after less than 24 hours. That shoud be hard to top for a VIC-related video.

I just found out he did a VIC-game a couple of years ago and is now porting it to C64. Gotta check out the original VIC-game - it looks very cool.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I have one of those EPROM burners but am missing the HEXKIT 1.0 software.

Does anyone have this? Can they make a ROM dump? It's never been archived!
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

hasseapa wrote:>80 000 views after less than 24 hours. That shoud be hard to top for a VIC-related video.
I have read some comments. Apparently, this success was due to a previous video (currently unavailable) about AI. It was so crappy, that it became a recurrent joke in the nerd community. So I guess people clicked this VIC stuff just out of curiosity. Guess they were disappointed, as it's not so bad apart from the wrong Prom RAM amount.
hasseapa wrote:I just found out he did a VIC-game a couple of years ago and is now porting it to C64. Gotta check out the original VIC-game - it looks very cool.
If you mean this, it does look great but unfortunately
David wrote:The game was never completed
:(
hasseapa
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by hasseapa »

He has 470 000 subscribers so all of his videos have loads of visits. But yeah, I noticed the AI-video and quickly skimmed it. The hostile critics seem to have a point...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzRbzwjoEOg

Too bad about the unfinished game. It looks fabulous!
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

The "8-bit Guy" has some nice videos. I subscribe to his videos (used to be a Patreon supporter too). Most of his videos are hit-or-miss with me. None of them make me jump up and yell "WOW!".

Being an "8-bit guy" myself since 1982, I feel I'm pretty knowledgeable in the field. I think he gets many of his views simply because his production quality is actually pretty good. The audio is good. And, he's consistent. There aren't many YouTubers covering 8-bit like that with that kind of consistency.

So, my hat off to him.

But, at the end of the day...I rarely learn anything from his videos. I get that he has to be super generic. My favorite videos from him are the restorations. Since I own 70+ vintage computers, restorations are a passion of mine.

Now, I would be lying if I said nothing he does annoys me. There are quite a few things...in fact. One, is that I sometimes get annoyed at his self-proclaimed "8-bit genius" remarks. He believes (as do many of his followers) that pretty much anything he says has to be taken as the end-all fact about anything retro. I'm not going into too many details but what I mean is that he seems to think "his" experiences back in the day reflects everyone's experience. Growing up in a small southern town in Tennessee, I can promise you some of his remarks weren't true around here.

I'm not going to keep bashing the guy. Especially since he's not on here to defend himself (that I know of). I'm just stating some likes/dislikes with his content.

Oh, regarding the AI video he did. I give him credit for trying something new. But, modern AI is a *far* stretch for 8-bit related content. You can always say that it all started back then....fine. But that's like reviewing a 4 TB hard drive on the 8-bit channel and proclaiming that it has roots in the 80's. Way too off-topic.
Cat; the other white meat.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

I second your thoughts. I have fun watching at most of his videos, but rarely find something I really didn't know. But his videos are well done, and make me want to get back home and fire up my beasts :). I must thank him mainly for this reason.
cbmeeks
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by cbmeeks »

orion70 wrote:I second your thoughts. I have fun watching at most of his videos, but rarely find something I really didn't know. But his videos are well done, and make me want to get back home and fire up my beasts :). I must thank him mainly for this reason.
That's my point exactly. I enjoy him enough to keep watching.

I'm also envious that he gets so many awesome things for free. Ugh. LOL

I wonder who has more computers? Me or him? I think I have around 80 now. It's a race!
Cat; the other white meat.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

I love the 8bit Guy :D think he's doing a great effort providing his videos free to us all.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by hasseapa »

I am sure many already know this, but he has continued to cover Commodore and VIC lately.

There was a new video up yesterday.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yg04GyhS3ss

Very enjoyable :D
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Excellent review, with many games covered, including a couple from Denial :)
The guy has very good looking machines!
dragos
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by dragos »

Whether you like his videos or not, he apparently doesn't respond. I too have a promqueen and need the rom, but he will not answer a pm or message left on the video. he has shown up at ECCC/vcfmf before, but when people have something rare and can't/won/t share the software, it really turns me off of them.
0110 0110 0110 The number of the beast...
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

dragos wrote:Whether you like his videos or not, he apparently doesn't respond. I too have a promqueen and need the rom, but he will not answer a pm or message left on the video. he has shown up at ECCC/vcfmf before, but when people have something rare and can't/won/t share the software, it really turns me off of them.
He actually responded to me about this about six months ago (right after the video was posted and I asked him for the ROM).

I posted the ROM image on Denial here:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... 048#p94046

Also, I submitted it to Bo Zimmer's FTP site and he posted it here (sounds like Eslapion also sent Bo the ROM image I posted):
http://www.zimmers.net/anonftp/pub/cbm/ ... index.html

I'm guessing he's probably swamped with messages from people, including multiple request for the same thing.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com