BBC / Electron stuff.

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

BBC / Electron stuff.

Post by Tepic »

Stairway to Hell is more of a gaming site. I haven't found a good coders site, but I am sure one will exist somewhere.
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

There seems to be something at http://bbc.nvg.org/ although no news since a year. http://www.acornarcade.com/ also looks promising. Maybe it is asking too much to find a c64.com/c64.sk/CSDB or WOS/Raww equivalent.
Anders Carlsson

Image Image Image Image Image
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

In a few weeks, I'll get a hopefully working BBC Master Compact. We'll see if I try to program for it.
Anders Carlsson

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

Nice find.

BBC Basic rocks. The built in assembler really helps as well :)
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

Well, it was not for free. The winning bid was 23 Euro + shipping and payment fees, a total of 67-68 Euro.
Anders Carlsson

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

Still a good price if you ask me. I'd have paid it without a second thought!

My collecting has kind of slowed down at the moment. We are getting a bit low on storage space! I'm even thinking about sticking to Vic and Atari ST stuff and selling the rest.
ruud
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by ruud »

Tepic wrote:Still a good price if you ask me. I'd have paid it without a second thought!
I own three Acorn Atoms and two diskdrives for them. Somebody wanted to give me 30 Euro for it but I wasn't interested for several reasons. One reason was that somebody told me that that guy was a bit of a crook regarding old computers. Are these Atoms and drives worth anything?

Code: Select all

___
   / __|__
  / /  |_/     Met vriendelijke groet, Ruud Baltissen
  \ \__|_\
   \___|       URL: www.baltissen.org

carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

On the auction held by Dimitri Kokken, there was a boxed Acorn Atom which sold for 150 Euro. No peripherals though. If that was a typical price or a fluke, I don't know - eBay etc should give a clue.
Anders Carlsson

Tepic
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by Tepic »

I don't know how much they are worth, but I've never seen a working Atom for sale.

I'm guessing that if you find the right person they'll do pretty well.
Lloyd Mangram
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by Lloyd Mangram »

Theres coding questions in the forum at STH.
Calling all readers/forum users of Retro Gamer magazine -
New forum at:
http://forum.retrosurvival.co.uk/
carlsson
Class of '6502

Post by carlsson »

I picked it up, and apart from dodgy SHIFT keys (may be fixable), it works fine. The composite video appears to be monochrome, so I'll have to look up a pinout for the RGB to get some colour out of it.

The 3.5" disk drive took a while to figure out how to use, but fortunately the computer has ADFS 2.10 with a built-in format command - earlier DFS versions appear to require a program loaded from disk to format a disk. I found a type-in that either doesn't work or I made some mistakes:

http://www.mdfsnet.f9.co.uk/Software/BBC/FormDFS.txt

That's something Commodore did right from the beginning (at least IEC 15xx drives - I don't know how intelligent the IEEE488 drives are). Imagine to have to type in a 25+ line listing to format your first disk, if you didn't have the original welcome disk.

Of course there is PC software to read/write/format disks of various formats too.
Anders Carlsson