Using a VIC with a CMD Hard Drive

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Schema
factor

Using a VIC with a CMD Hard Drive

Post by Schema »

Last night I got to try out my VIC20 with a friend's CMD HD-40 (40 megabyte) hard drive. Unfortunately it's not for sale after all :cry:

All the setup utilities etc. only run on the C64 or 128 so you have to set up and format the partitions on one of those first.

But once that is done, the VIC works perfectly well with the CMD drive. You can load directories and programs like any other Commodore drive.

I also tried out our "Disk Utility Cartridge" with it. Boray, you'll be pleased to know that XMENU works fine, except that you have to select the partition you want before running it, of course.

The Wedge from the cartridge (the same as the one on the 1541 demo disk) did not work 100% though which was strange.

@$ for directory and / for loading work perfectly.

However, the @CP command to change partitions only accepts the first digit. For example, if I type in @CP23 to change to partition 23, I end up in partition 2 instead. But partitions 0-9 work fine. :?

I'm not sure why that is, since the wedge just sends everything after the @ sign to the drive. i.e. renaming with @R0:NEWNAME=OLDNAME works fine. Using the long hand OPEN15,12,15,"CP23":CLOSE15 works fine too.

Naturally, this shouldn't be a problem with JiffyDOS for the VIC.

The CMD drives also have a neat feature where they can swap between drive #12 (default) and #8 (used by most multi-load programs).

What's cool about this is that the drive, on its own, reprograms the old Drive #8 (i.e. your 1541) to become Drive #12 instead over the command channel. This prevents you from ending up with two Drive #8s connected simultaneously. Pretty handy.

40 megabyes is tons of space for the VIC - I think the entire /vic20/ directory on Zimmers takes up 9 MB. Plus with the partitions and virtual 1541/1571/1581 partitions, you can sort your programs pretty easily. But they don't make the HD-40 or the 20MB HD-20 any more, the smallest you can buy now is a 1 GB drive :!:
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Sounds like a pretty cool unit.

If you had a chance to peek inside the unit ....is hard drive an old MFM unit, such as Seagate ST138?
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
vic user
VicGyver

Post by vic user »

Last night I got to try out my VIC20 with a friend's CMD HD-40 (40 megabyte) hard drive. Unfortunately it's not for sale after all :cry:

man, i am sorry to hear that.

but i am happy to hear that it worked ok with the vic!

chris
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Cool! I found this page:
http://www.cmdweb.de/hd.htm

/Anders
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Schema
factor

Post by Schema »

Actually, the official site is

http://www.cmdrkey.com/cbm/prodinfo/cmdhd.html
Leeeeee
soldering master

Re: Using a VIC with a CMD Hard Drive

Post by Leeeeee »

Schema wrote:What's cool about this is that the drive, on its own, reprograms the old Drive #8 (i.e. your 1541) to become Drive #12 instead over the command channel. This prevents you from ending up with two Drive #8s connected simultaneously. Pretty handy.
That would be a handy patch to add to any floppy drive, when it powers up it interrogates the bus and if it finds another drvice of the same number bumps itself up one and loops until it finds a free id. Then, to set the drive numbers, all you do is power them up in sequence.

Surely there's room for this in the floppy BIOS?

Lee.
MacbthPSW
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by MacbthPSW »

Mostly on topic, I've used my CMD FD-2000 with my VIC-20 and Plus/4, no problems. Fun stuff!
CurtisP
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by CurtisP »

6502dude wrote:Sounds like a pretty cool unit.

If you had a chance to peek inside the unit ....is hard drive an old MFM unit, such as Seagate ST138?
The CMD's all used SCSI drives. Back in the day, 20 and 40 MB SCSI drives were quite common.