Intellivision and ColecoVision flashbacks

Other Computers and Game Systems

Moderator: Moderators

CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Re: Intellivision and ColecoVision flashbacks

Post by CBR125R »

There is some discussion on AtariAge about possible future Flashbacks. Apparently one new line that AtGames is considering is a Commodore 64 Flashback, as it has a fair bit of name recognition still, and there is a HUGE library of games from which to obtain licencing.

I have been playing my Inty FB quite a bit and am really enjoying it. I am considering the Colecovision version, but it doesn't seem to be getting nearly as positive reviews as the Inty version.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

That's interesting that AtGames is considering a C64 Flashback. I doubt it will be a "real" hardware C64 clone like the DTV was, as AtGames has a history of using their own custom emulators (which are actually not too bad).

The one good thing about AtGames is that they do a nice job of making really nict retro-looking cases for their flashbacks.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

This thread made me revisit my Coleco Vision (one or two words?). It's great fun. The controllers get such negative criticism, but it seems to me that the control issues are within the system! The Atari 7800 controller scheme is identical sans the keypad. I started using the 7800 flat (NES style) joypad, and the sluggish, STIFF controls are still evident. It doesn't even seem to be a programming issue; the problem appears in every game I have.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

I don't have a problem with the ColecoVision controllers, although you're right, some games were programmed sluggishly. Bump and Jump and Venture on the ColecoVision are beautiful looking ports, but both have slow response from the controller.

A problem with the flashback is that they engineer re-designed the controllers to make the already short joystick even shorter. People are theorizing that he/she did not really understand how they controller was meant to be heald (with that three finger pincer grip) and thought it was supposed to be a thumb-on-top-of-the-disc arrangement like the Intellivision disc.

By the way, I really like the Intellivision disc, although some people hate it. I think it does its job admirably and is very nice looking.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I picked up both, and actually 2 of the Intellivision, one the Dollar General model that includes one extra game, Baseball. I also bought the add on overlays by mail but have yet to receive them.

Very happy someone FINALLY did Intellivision controllers similar to the original. I had 2 different older Intellivision plug and play devices and it's just not the same without a disc and overlay!

These guys did a major service to Intellivision owners and the parts pool by making the controllers compatible with the original consoles with an adapter.

I miss Swords and Serpents, but have that on my original Intellivison. :-)

I had fun playing Tarmin aka Minotaur here and need to find time to try out the ColecoVision. Just moved and getting things set up. Have a nice game room where my VIC-20 and Mega-Cart were enjoyed for the first time in a while last night in a fresh new retro gaming corner.
ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Post by ral-clan »

Let us know what you think of the overlay pack when it arrives. I'm thinking of ordering too but the website looks a little bare-bones. Where did you order from?

Also, let us know what you think of the ColecoVision flashback when you've had a chance to play it.
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Good - but plenty of room for improvement

Post by CBR125R »

As mentioned above, I recently bought the Intellivision Flashback and really enjoy it, so I thought I'd also buy the Colecovision Flashback. However, I've read quite a few reviews, and the Coleco ones are decidedly more 'mixed'. I went ahead and ordered one anyhow, and I'm glad I did.

I'm reasonably impressed with it. It has some flaws (I'd give it 3.5 out of 5 stars) - but it is a lot of fun. I used to own a 'real' 80s Colecovision with a fair number of cartridges, so I can compare the two. The new Flashback controllers are fairly close to the originals in both look and feel - but not exact. The stick in particular has a clicky, snappy feel to it that I don't think the original had. The video output on my LCD flatscreen is decent enough, but the sound in some games is off, some games much more so than others.

The selection of 60 games includes some classics such as Zaxxon, Space Panic, Frenzy, Space Fury, Pepper II (my fave!), Venture, Cosmic Avenger, etc. Of course, Nintendo would not licence them Donkey Kong, but where are Ladybug or Mousetrap?

The quality of the emulation is fairly good: not as precise as the newer Windows emulators, but decent enough. Honestly, I have to say that playing most of these games really doesn't look or feel much different than on my original system. Even the plastic keyboard overlays look like the 1980s originals!

So... what's not to like? Well, frankly, the selection of games is seriously lacking! I understand that it is hard to get some of these licences without having deep pockets, but there is quite a lot of 'shovelware' included. I would say that perhaps 15 or 20 of the games are good, decent games, but some of the remaining 40 games.... yikes!

I think that because the Intellivision Flashback has 60 games included, they felt they had to do the same with the Coleco version - and ended up padding out the included library. A good twenty or more of the included games are from lesser known 80s publishers such as Spectravideo, Eclipse, or Interphase. There's a reason these companies are largely unknown - most of their games were not that good! And there are many mediocre 'homebrew' games included too.

Honestly, I think they should have skipped some of the included games, and just stuck to 20 or 30 of the better games. Including the crummy games only weakens the overall product.

I really hope that in the future version, some 3rd party games from Activision, etc. I realize that there are licencing issues and that may not even be legally possible, but I have my fingers crossed.

Overall, I am really pleased with my purchase.
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I tried out the Coleco Flashback. My first impression was that the fire button and some other buttons are not as responsive as they should be, but I was never a Colecovision owner. Overall the controllers felt cheap -- and in a way that felt like it would impact gameplay (unlike the Intellivision FLashback design which works). I was also frustrated by the contortions my hand went through to press the right fire button in most games, another possible original Colecovision bonus, rather than being able to use the left side button where my thumb rests. Sometimes I had to hit "select" via numbers a few times to get it to register.

Of the games I think Venture is good, along with Pepper II, but some stinkers are in the mix and the homebrews I tried were decidedly not good.

Gateway to Apshai - a favorite of mine on the C64, could use an overlay for sure. I was not sure what I was pressing getting chased by 3 monsters.

My 9 yo daughter got to try them and liked Bump and Jump though the terrible response from the fire button would not allow us to time jumps properly.

I think a Colecovision Flashback 2 could be improved with 1. Improved controllers 2. A decent set of overlays 3. At least a few licensed games like Mr. Do! Right now I can imagine many people confused by the handful of sub-par homebrews and the lack of intuitive controls since the overlays are missing. Without the support of casual players I wonder if a Flashback 2 will ever surface.

I am happy at least that I got a chance to play and share them with my daughter. She liked the hardest level of SPinnaker's ALphabet Zoo, surprisingly! Overall the quality of Colecovision games was much better in my foggy memory than in reality, though.

I am much happier with my Intellivision Flashbacks (x2!).
robinsonmason
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by robinsonmason »

I got the extra overlays in the mail today. Photo below. It comes in a bubble mailer with two sets of all games not covered by the FLashback version with the least number of games/overlays. In other words, you get a few duplicates if you have a Sam's Club or Dollar General version with extra games or overlays included. It also fixes a couple of incorrect overlays. The mailer came with a "history of Intellivision overlays" and a code for a subscription to RetroGamer.

Overall nice quality overlays that are great to have, even if you are like me and have a bunch of loose carts with no overlays for your regular old Intellivision. Some of these games really do need the overlays!

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

So these overlays would also fit a real Intellivision controller?? I thought the new controllers were a little smaller.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

The Colecovision FB overlays don't fit an original Coleco.

However, the Intellivision overlays do fit.