Say Yoho!

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Mayhem
High Bidder

Re: Say Yoho!

Post by Mayhem »

*resists Dilbert jokes* :twisted:

Welcome Scott, always a pleasure to see folks from back in the era poke their heads into fan forums :)

Actually, that's an interesting question... what percentage of emails do you get from people who think you are the OTHER Scott Adams?

Aside from the five adventures done with Andy for Commodore, do you have any other Vic20 credits?
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

Mayhem wrote:*resists Dilbert jokes* :twisted:

Welcome Scott, always a pleasure to see folks from back in the era poke their heads into fan forums :)

Actually, that's an interesting question... what percentage of emails do you get from people who think you are the OTHER Scott Adams?

Aside from the five adventures done with Andy for Commodore, do you have any other Vic20 credits?!
Scott Adams of Dilbert fame and I use to trade fan mail back in the early days of the internet, circa 1990s. We have had to do that in a long time though :)

Other than the 5 cartridges I didn't do any other games for the Vic. The Marvel and Buckaroo Banzai License came along and that kept me pretty busy. :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mr. Scott Adams is visiting my humble forum. :shock:

Welcome! Adventureland on the VIC 20 holds such a special place in my heart. This forum and every game I've made were inspired by the magic I felt playing Adventureland. So, it's a honor to have you here.

Video game design is such a young artform, and having pioneers available to discuss their work is something like an engineer having access to Heron or Archimedes! I hope you don't mind all of these questions, because I'm tempted to add a few to the discussion. I always wondered if you thought the later, graphic enhanced Adventure games (certainly Adventureland) improved or damaged interactive fiction.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Hello Mr. Adams, what can I say? Just wanted to drop a line to say THANK YOU in big letters for all your work. And to see my post in the same thread where you wrote :P.

I'm Italian, and saw many people cut their teeth with your adventures on the VIC-20 also in the Bel Paese. I spent a lot of time with a friend, trying to solve Spiderman and the Hulk on a Spectrum (boooo!), and still remember fondly that somehow dark and mysterious feel.

Now here at Denial we've been able to play all your adventures on a VIC, have you noticed that? (hope it won't be a problem with copyrights :)).
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

Jeff-20 wrote:Mr. Scott Adams is visiting my humble forum. :shock:

Welcome! Adventureland on the VIC 20 holds such a special place in my heart. This forum and every game I've made were inspired by the magic I felt playing Adventureland. So, it's a honor to have you here.

Video game design is such a young artform, and having pioneers available to discuss their work is something like an engineer having access to Heron or Archimedes! I hope you don't mind all of these questions, because I'm tempted to add a few to the discussion. I always wondered if you thought the later, graphic enhanced Adventure games (certainly Adventureland) improved or damaged interactive fiction.
Hi Jeff,

Thanks for all the warm welcomes I am getting!

I put the graphics in my games to follow what people were saying they wanted. But the pictures never ever did justice to the games. I always wrote them first as text games and the pictures were always optional.

When Myst came out many years later I greatly enjoyed it. It showed how a visual adventure game could take really work. But that is not the my forte. I am about weaving a story with commonly understood elements and letting the player provide the graphically details in their mind's eye.
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

orion70 wrote:Hello Mr. Adams, what can I say? Just wanted to drop a line to say THANK YOU in big letters for all your work. And to see my post in the same thread where you wrote :P.

I'm Italian, and saw many people cut their teeth with your adventures on the VIC-20 also in the Bel Paese. I spent a lot of time with a friend, trying to solve Spiderman and the Hulk on a Spectrum (boooo!), and still remember fondly that somehow dark and mysterious feel.

Now here at Denial we've been able to play all your adventures on a VIC, have you noticed that? (hope it won't be a problem with copyrights :)).
HI!

Please feel free to call me Scott. All my friends do and you guys are friends even though we have never met.

I did read the thread about the efforts made to bring my game series to the vic-20. I have no problems with it at all. I certainly think it is neat idea.

You referred to Bel Paese. Is that a pace or perhaps another computer? I am not familiar with it. I have gotten a number of emails from fans in Italy over the years and I never realized how many people I have touched back then. It certainly warms my heart to know my classic games were so well received around the world.
malcontent
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by malcontent »

Hello Scott! I played the death out of the Count and Mission Impossible, way back in the day. It was the only two games I had for the VIC.

You mention you mainframe time. I'm guessing you played Colossal Cave Adventure?
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

ScottAdams wrote:
orion70 wrote:Hello Mr. Adams, what can I say? Just wanted to drop a line to say THANK YOU in big letters for all your work. And to see my post in the same thread where you wrote :P.

HI!

Please feel free to call me Scott. All my friends do and you guys are friends even though we have never met.

I did read the thread about the efforts made to bring my game series to the vic-20. I have no problems with it at all. I certainly think it is neat idea.

You referred to Bel Paese. Is that a pace or perhaps another computer? I am not familiar with it. I have gotten a number of emails from fans in Italy over the years and I never realized how many people I have touched back then. It certainly warms my heart to know my classic games were so well received around the world.

Hi Scott, I don't speak Italian, but I do speak Spanish. I should think that Bel Paese means Beautiful Country, or something along those lines.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Hello Scott, it's awesome that you found our little corner of the web. Welcome!
It's not often we get to speak with someone as famous and important as you.

I remember playing your games on the VIC20 a lot, they inspired my friends and I to create our own adventures, (though they we only knew BASIC back then).
It was a lot of fun just sitting with them and planning the story line and all the secret rooms and such. I don't think we actually finished one as they were always a work in progress.

Just wanted to thank you for all the memories and cool games from the past.
Ray..
litody
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by litody »

Hi Scott, first let me add my welcome to the chorus of greetings already received and to thank you for your contribution to computer history and for many enjoyable hours spent tapping away at the keyboard.

Nowadays I am collecting all the games I never had chance to play during my first time round as a VIC user, and one thing that has always intrigued me is the number of copies of games/programs that were released back in the day.

Judging by their availability today your cartridges must have sold in huge numbers, did you ever get any feedback on the number of copies that were produced/sold? and which were the most popular in terms of sales?

Thanks
John
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

buzbard wrote:Hello Scott, it's awesome that you found our little corner of the web. Welcome!
It's not often we get to speak with someone as famous and important as you.

I remember playing your games on the VIC20 a lot, they inspired my friends and I to create our own adventures, (though they we only knew BASIC back then).
It was a lot of fun just sitting with them and planning the story line and all the secret rooms and such. I don't think we actually finished one as they were always a work in progress.

Just wanted to thank you for all the memories and cool games from the past.
Many thanks for your kind words. I don't see myself as famous or important. Just someone with a passion in the right place at the right time! Find your own passion and pursue it. Even if it's in raising a family or doing your best at your job!
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

malcontent wrote:Hello Scott! I played the death out of the Count and Mission Impossible, way back in the day. It was the only two games I had for the VIC.

You mention you mainframe time. I'm guessing you played Colossal Cave Adventure?
Yes I did play Collosal caves on DEC mainframe at work. I would go in every morning before work and stay after until I completed in about a week. It gave me the inspiration for my own game.

When I mentioned to co-workers that I would attempt something like that on my little 16k TRS-80 model I they laughed at me and said it could not be done. I decided to try anyways :)
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

16KVIC20 wrote:
ScottAdams wrote:

HI!

Hi Scott, I don't speak Italian, but I do speak Spanish. I should think that Bel Paese means Beautiful Country, or something along those lines.
Aha that could be! I just did a quick Bing search and found it is also an Italian cheese! http://www.bing.com/search?q=Bel%20Paes ... 409d75db17
ScottAdams
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by ScottAdams »

litody wrote:Hi Scott, first let me add my welcome to the chorus of greetings already received and to thank you for your contribution to computer history and for many enjoyable hours spent tapping away at the keyboard.

Nowadays I am collecting all the games I never had chance to play during my first time round as a VIC user, and one thing that has always intrigued me is the number of copies of games/programs that were released back in the day.

Judging by their availability today your cartridges must have sold in huge numbers, did you ever get any feedback on the number of copies that were produced/sold? and which were the most popular in terms of sales?

Thanks
John
Commodore did give me a royalty report. If I remember properly it seems there was an average of one adventure cartridge sold for many every Vic that sold. It seems they were popular!
FD22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by FD22 »

Hi Scott!

Aside from the 8K RAM expander, Adventureland was my first cartridge for my VIC back in '82. I eventually collected the whole set of your adventures, with Mission Impossible to this day being the only one I never solved. I still go back to it from time to time, but the bomb still explodes. :D

I still mutter 'SYS 32592' to myself in my sleep sometimes...