Jim Brain's uIEC

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

ral-clan
plays wooden flutes

Jim Brain's uIEC

Post by ral-clan »

I'm a little confused about what I need to order from Jim Brain's site in order to accomplish the following:

VIC-20 -----> uIEC -------> 1541 -------> MPS-801 printer

Does the uIEC by iteself (without daughter board) offer solder points for a 5V adapter *and* CBM-IEC serial port passthrough socket to be attached, or do I need to buy the optional daughterboard?

I want to mount the uIEC in an external case and daisy chain it in the configuration I've noted above.

The description on Jim Brain's website for the uIEC doesn't answer my questions. I know the daughterboard allows easy connections for a USB power supply and built in serial passthrough ports, but if I can easily solder these onto the uIEC myself it would keep the whole thing a lot smaller. Plus it seems the daughterboard requires you to plug in the device into the VIC-20's datasette port, which I definitely DO NOT WANT to do.

If I could find a pdf technical document on the uIEC I'm sure it would answer all my questions.

What's the pin-out for the 13-pin connector?

Thanks.
Image Music I've made with 1980s electronics, synths and other retro-instruments: http://theovoids.bandcamp.com
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Re: Jim Brain's uIEC

Post by buzbard »

If you don't want the daughter card that connects to the cassette port I would suggest getting one of the uIEC Edge Connectors to solder your wires to it. It will make life so much better later on if something goes wrong with the uIEC and you need to remove it.

For the pin-out try the µIEC Wiki.

Jim will also answer any questions you might have about the unit, he's good people. :D
Ray..
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Yep, just ask Jim he is kind and always help.
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by brain »

I try :-) Obviously, given scheduling, it's best to PM or email if you're looking for a quick answer.

I also highly recommend the edge connector for experimentors or those embedding the unit. It's such a drag to have to unsolder the unit to fix it or test it.

Jim