Strange video problem

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

craftsman1234
Vic 20 Dabbler

Re: Strange video problem

Post by craftsman1234 »

Mike wrote:Ouch, sorry to hear about the new problems you got.
craftsman1234 wrote:The ram I got was labeled NEC 8402A5 μPD2114LC
Those *are* SRAMs. However, I've seen photos of NEC µPD2114LC in the 'net with '-5' behind the type, i.e. 500 ns. If there is no indication of access time behind a hyphen, this most probably means you got chips which are even slower than 500 ns.

Anyway, 500 ns are already too slow for the VIC-20. Take SRAMs with access time of 300 ns, if possible, which would be indicated by '-3' after the type. 400 ns (with '-4') might also work.
Just to add they all have -3 on them.
Commodore Pet 4032, Vic-20, 2 C64, 2 SX64, PAL 64c, 128DCR. Commodore Since 1980
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

I took another look at the garbled display.

It is possible, that the VIC registers are wrongly initialised, so the screen display start address now points to uninitialised memory. For a short explanation, '@' and the checkerboard character are 0 and 255, respectively. You find this two-byte pattern quite often. When they're interspersed with other values, these are often remainders of the old content, when the VIC-20 was only switched off for a short time. At least the VIC-20 reset routine came as far as programming the VIC registers.

1. Is this a static picture, or do some of the characters change?

2. Does the image change, when you add/remove the +8K RAM expansion?

3. Does the VIC react to commands typed-in blindly (like POKE36879,8 - which should change background and border to black)

4. Could you provide good photos of the solder job (component side and solder side)?
craftsman1234
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by craftsman1234 »

Mike wrote:I took another look at the garbled display.

It is possible, that the VIC registers are wrongly initialised, so the screen display start address now points to uninitialised memory. For a short explanation, '@' and the checkerboard character are 0 and 255, respectively. You find this two-byte pattern quite often. When they're interspersed with other values, these are often remainders of the old content, when the VIC-20 is only switched off for a short time. At least the VIC-20 reset routine came as far as programming the VIC registers.

1. Is this a static picture, or do some of the characters change?

3. Does the VIC react to commands typed-in blindly (like POKE36879,8 - which should change background and border to black)

4. Could you provide good photos of the solder job (component side and solder side)?

I will recheck this when I get home but the effects were very similar with the 8k ram or the expansion board using different bank settings. The screens change each time and yes certain characters do quickly change. I have seen this on the 64 when 0 page is accessed to screen memory.

I'll try the Poke command and get close up's of the MB later today.
Commodore Pet 4032, Vic-20, 2 C64, 2 SX64, PAL 64c, 128DCR. Commodore Since 1980
craftsman1234
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by craftsman1234 »

Mike wrote:

Nothing is different with the 8k plus expansion.

No response to the Poke commands.

Here are the pictures of my sloppy work.

Before I go and remove the socket I want to make sure to test the Ram that I have coming.