[Finished] Levi's Maze for unexpanded Vic

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Victragic
Frogger '07

[Finished] Levi's Maze for unexpanded Vic

Post by Victragic »

Hi everyone,

just thought I'd share a simple game I wrote for the unexpanded Vic, which borrows heavily of course on the Atari 1977 classic 'Maze Craze', and the Vic's own 'Raid on Fort Knox', to a lesser extent. It's a simple game with big blocky graphics, nothing pushing the Vic to it's limits, but I hope you enjoy the gameplay.

In fact, the graphics occupy 2kb of the memory! By rendering every possible 2 x 2 multicolour block in 256 characters, it was very easy to manipulate individual squares.

Objectives - get to the exit on the right, then get to either the top or bottom exit before your time runs out. Watch out for the black squares, which we'll call.. oh, I don't know.. hounds (Panthers and black cats have already been done.)

It's for Kim, my partner, (Maze Craze was her favourite game back as a child) - we are expecting the birth of our son any day now.

Download link:

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0BypQg4Q ... sp=sharing

-Glen aka Victragic
3^4 is 81.0000001
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Glen - thank you. the game is great, very playable, but even better the good news about the upcoming baby. All my best wishes for Kim and you :)
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Thank you!

I've been programming my Vic more recently as a useful distraction while waiting for this big event - not a bad way to kill spare time at all.
3^4 is 81.0000001
akator
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by akator »

Excellent and fun. Thank you :)

Congratulations on the new family member!
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Please, if programming VIC games is your distraction, take some more time to distract yourself, before you have no time at all (words from a father of 1-yo daughter :wink:).
vicist
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by vicist »

Great game and nice graphics.

I played this in Vice after downloading it and it plays very well. Accidentally hit the key mapped to 'Restore' and it knocked out the up direction key. Keep pressing 'Restore' and it starts to corrupt the graphics for the score and time digits.

I know, I know, don't press 'Restore' then... but from a programming point of view I thought you might like to know.

All the very best wishes to you, Kim and imminent child.
Victragic
Frogger '07

Post by Victragic »

Thanks for the wishes! Yes, will be quite a change to the home any day soon.. trying to enjoy relative quiet while it lasts!

As for the Restore issue, oops - looks like I forgot to disable NMIs.. have fixed this. Surprised I didn't come across this myself, as the Restore key is next to the cursor arrows on my keyboard, which I've mapped to the joystick.
3^4 is 81.0000001