67%
Some other option explained below
No votes

Total votes: 6

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Denial's BIG Move

Post by Jeff-20 »

This is a simple poll to solicit advice on our big move this summer. The move will make Denial unavailable for a short period of time (hopefully only a day or two), and we shall return with fully upgraded software (maybe July).

Here's what YOU can do:

If you have the time, take a look at the hosting sites recommended by the phpBB website here. They give you a brief overview of each host.

I would like your input on which to select. Cost and performance are obviously important issues, but it should be a US based business because of possible legal issues with my personal website.

If you have time to investigate (google or visit their respective webpages), I would love to get your opinions. Post your vote or comment.

I'm crowd sourcing because I didn't make a very good choice a decade ago. Maybe you guys can help me think through this selection. Thanks! Keep the Denial community alive!
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Kind regards, Peter.
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Thanks! Let's add that to the list of options. My current host offered similar features, but you, for one, know their limitations.
pallas
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by pallas »

I had an experience with hostmonster some time ago and it was pretty slow from Italy.
Dusty
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Dusty »

I think, best thing is to tell the future provider very exactly the problems we ran into (need some thousand DB accesses ONCE to upgrade the software and than have xx visitors per day).

The problem with the current provider is, that they set up a limit of DB accesses per user and hour. We only need to go around this limit ONCE (or maybe whenever we want to upgrade the forum's software).

I think, if you clearify the situation as good as possible, the support of the future provider can definitely say "yes" or "no".
English Invader
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by English Invader »

A lot of the forums I frequent use ProBoards and some of them are just as big as Denial if not bigger. Plus, PB is free.

www.proboards.com

Disclaimer

I don't know the first thing about starting/managing a forum and if there's a ton of issues as to why this option isn't viable I apologise in advance.
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hostgator provides 45 Day Money Back Guarantee, time enough to see if they will fullfill Denial-needs :-) and they will transfer db and files for free.

Nice sunday to ya all!
Kind regards, Peter.
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

If I remeber well, I think I already told you in a previous thread that a professional database manager suggested me to move to BlueHost, which I did. I think it's two years now and I'm very happy with it: plenty of management tools, no complains about bandwith limits or queries taking too long etc. Our forum has 1100 members and 200000 posts, so to some extent in the same range as yours.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

4 votes. I guess most are indifferent. Well, I'll go with my gut. Denial should be offline for some time this week. Let's see if any one notices. :lol:
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

It's not that I'm indifferent, it's just that I have no experience in this sort of thing, so my vote would just be noise.
Good luck!
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Jeff-20 wrote:4 votes. I guess most are indifferent. Well, I'll go with my gut. Denial should be offline for some time this week. Let's see if any one notices. :lol:
I will notice for sure :shock:
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by English Invader »

Kweepa wrote:It's not that I'm indifferent, it's just that I have no experience in this sort of thing, so my vote would just be noise.
Good luck!
Same deal with me.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

English Invader wrote:
Kweepa wrote:It's not that I'm indifferent, it's just that I have no experience in this sort of thing, so my vote would just be noise.
Good luck!
Same deal with me.
And me. Sorry Jeff... :(
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

No worries. I have complete faith in everyone's passion for the VIC. :) I was just commenting that most (including me) would rather not deal with the boring, modern computing issues. I appreciate your mindful abstinence. I will try to keep the transfer as time efficient as possible.
cobracon
Vic 20 Dabbler

Post by cobracon »

I've had really good luck with GoDaddy in the past. Very friendly and easy to use.