It's been a while ...

Discuss anything related to the VIC
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

It's been a while ...

Post by KingTrode »

Hi All

Hope everyone is keeping well :)

It must be at least a couple of years since I last posted on the forums, various real life distractions ended up with me drifting away from VIC stuff in general.

During that time I did nothing whatsoever on the VIC front, but now I've found myself with time to get back on the horse (so to say) :lol:

Over the last few days I've dug out my old VIC source code, setup a new Cross-Dev environment on my PC and got stuck in.

I must admit at first it was a bit of a shock to the system trying to see what my code was doing, obviously due to the long time away and also that even back then I was still a novice in all things VIC related. :?

I'm getting there slowly, I even managed to revamp my 40 column code a bit and get it drawing a full 40x24 screen with 24 Locates in approx 0.26 secs (it used take more than a second).

So I thought I'd start on something new (nothing spectacular/exciting) to help me move forward and get back to where I was previously.

It's about 80% done so keep your eye on the "Programming / Games" forums over the next couple of days for an announcement / screenshots / beta download.

Sadly I'm still unable to test these things on the real thing, I do still have my VIC here on the shelf above me but never got around to getting one of those wonderful cartridges that has an SD card built in for easy PC --> VIC transfers.

Hopefully they are still being manufactured so I can make an investment in the near future.

Well that's all for now.

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
joshuadenmark
Big Mover

Post by joshuadenmark »

Hi Jim

Welcome back, hope to see some new cool stuff for the friendly computer :D
Kind regards, Peter.

Post by KingTrode »

joshuadenmark wrote:Hi Jim

Welcome back, hope to see some new cool stuff for the friendly computer :D
Thanks Joshua

My first project is almost ready for a BETA release :)

http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... highlight=

I have various other ideas rattling around in my brain, just a case of getting them out of there onto paper then the big screen :roll:

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
FD22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: It's been a while ...

Post by FD22 »

KingTrode wrote:I even managed to revamp my 40 column code a bit and get it drawing a full 40x24 screen with 24 Locates in approx 0.26 secs
I can beat that. ;) 40x25 in 0.18...

There's only one way to settle this - FIGHT! (that'll only be funny if you're a Harry Hill fan)

Oh, welcome back btw!
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Re: It's been a while ...

Post by KingTrode »

FD22 wrote:
KingTrode wrote:I even managed to revamp my 40 column code a bit and get it drawing a full 40x24 screen with 24 Locates in approx 0.26 secs
I can beat that. ;) 40x25 in 0.18...

There's only one way to settle this - FIGHT! (that'll only be funny if you're a Harry Hill fan)

Oh, welcome back btw!
Thanks for the welcome.

Wouldn't consider myself a Harry Fan as I've not seen a lot of his work, but what I have seen was very entertaining - but yes I catch your drift - lol

Hmm 0.18 very nice, at this point I know I couldn't beat that maybe next year once I'm back up to speed - I bet Mike can probably do it in .1 :wink:

Cheers

KingTrode / Jim
FD22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by FD22 »

I'd certainly be interested in seeing THAT routine. :D
KingTrode
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by KingTrode »

FD22 wrote:I'd certainly be interested in seeing THAT routine. :D
Me too, though it's not likely possible it was a bit of a tongue in cheek statement.

Just that I recall how Mike would reply to threads to with some great optimized/compressed version of code that people where looking for help on.

I'm bet there are many others here of a similar VIC skill set, and I'm certainly happy about that as I'm often in need of help :roll:

KingTrode / Jim