Revision 2013 Invitation / Website out

Discuss anything related to the VIC
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Revision 2013 Invitation / Website out

Post by tokra »

The Revision 2013, the demoscene's largest party is being held for the third time in Saarbrücken, Germany this year. More than 800 people visited in 2011 and 2012 each and this year looks to be great as well.

See the invitation demo and the Revision-Website which both give you a nice overview of what to expect if you have not been at a demoparty before.

Of the competitions that are being held a few are viable for the VIC-20 as well, namely Oldskool Demo, Oldskool Graphics, Oldskool Music and Game.
Otherwise it's a nice mix of new and old, beer and sunshine, party and people.

Are any forum-members going? I surely will be there again this year. It is a very international meeting, main language is english, lots of people from all over the world, not only Europe, there are people from the US, Japan, even Australia.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Hmm, so you must be present to compete.
Tokra, since you did the loader, do you feel like entering Doom? Do you think that would be possible? :)
I don't know how they feel about games that are already "released"...
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

You should come ;-)

PM sent...
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

"Tokra, since you did the loader, do you feel like entering Doom? Do you think that would be possible? I don't know how they feel about games that are already "released"..."
things already released can not compete - updated versions that have significant changes over the released version can though.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

I guess the problem is the definition of the word "release". I would say VIC-Doom has not been officially "released" as of yet. It's more like an open beta at this stage with discussion and bug reporting going on in the community. Much like Mozilla/Firefox was used by many people before an "official" 1.0. was released.

This is a - small - issue I have with the demoscene in general. Much stuff is done in secret and never explained even months/years later on how certain effects were done. Ok, some of the fun is exactly in that: being surprised and wow-ed by something you thought was impossible and having those little contests between groups on who can raise the bar even higher.

However this puts the folks at a disadvantage who like to release their stuff in a more modern rapid prototyping kind of fashion with incremental updates to be downloaded for folks interested. Like with the MAME-emulator or VICE for example it is for the programming team to just decide a certain version is an "official release".

The scene is small enough as it is and I don't think anyone is "in it for the money". So in the end it should be the party organizer's decision: Is something worthy to be shown as a contender in a compo or otherwise. I think it would be a loss not to be able to show something because of what is in my opinion a minor technicality.

How Kweepa would actually like to "release" VIC-DOOM in one fashion or another is for him to say in the end. I think this is one of the coolest things to come around for the VIC in some time and as such would like it to be presented as good as possible. I can acknowledge however that I may be opinionated here :-)

Either way: I will be attending the party and have this run on my VIC+Mega Cart. Whoever wants to see it/try it out is invited - don't forget to bring beer ;-)
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

tokra wrote:This is a - small - issue I have with the demoscene in general.
One of several - small - issues indeed. But I am not going to argue here.
Either way: I will be attending the party and have this run on my VIC+Mega Cart. Whoever wants to see it/try it out is invited - don't forget to bring beer ;-)
The organizers seem to take a harsh attitude about this, quoting from the Party rules:
No games at the party. This is a demoscene party, dedicated to computer art, not a LAN or Leecher event. Gamers will be thrown out!
:shock: :wink: :lol:
groepaz
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by groepaz »

I guess the problem is the definition of the word "release".
not really, but if you are not sure - look at the rules :)