Post by yellow_lantern »

Nice - reminds me of my daughter.
We miss Miki.
Looking for a Commodore 16
DavPow
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DavPow »

OBSysteme wrote:Oh yes! "fabriqué au Canada" ! lol

ah... my setup is in transition, I have to dismantle my vaforite monitor for it, as I have a jack connection problem.

hey DavPow! can't help but notice you're NB-er!

what city?

OBS

Inkerman Ferry, it's about 3 hours from Moncton. I actually bought my Vic in Moncton haha. :P
**** DAVPOW ****
3583 BYTES FREE
READY.
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

DavPow

Cool! I should update my provile, i actually live in Dieppe now, but it should be obvious to you why I didn't bother :P

It's interresting that in New Brunswick, at least through Kijiji, vic20's pop-up as often as C64's if not more. It's nice to see here another maritimer. Is your interest in the VIC part of reclaiming childhood memories, or are you a "new explorer" of the device?
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Ahh!!! you got me confused with the "Ferry" part...

So you're from up north,... I am originally from Caraquet actually, I don't go up there as often as I should lately... :?
DavPow
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DavPow »

OBSysteme wrote:DavPow

Cool! I should update my provile, i actually live in Dieppe now, but it should be obvious to you why I didn't bother :P

It's interresting that in New Brunswick, at least through Kijiji, vic20's pop-up as often as C64's if not more. It's nice to see here another maritimer. Is your interest in the VIC part of reclaiming childhood memories, or are you a "new explorer" of the device?
I am a "new explorer" of the Vic hehe. Only got it back in march or may. Also about the Kijiji thing, i looked for only 2 minutes and I find this : http://moncton.kijiji.ca/c-acheter-et-v ... Z442237864. Payed 10$ more for mine but it came with a bunch of games. You should look at the Value Village. if you want old games and software. That's the only reason I go there :P (Also, that's where i got my Vic)
**** DAVPOW ****
3583 BYTES FREE
READY.
OBSysteme
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by OBSysteme »

Nice find for the kijiji link... I actually AVOID going on kijiji as much as I can, because I don't want to accumulate too much VIC or C64 stuff or other vintage computer stuff. I guess I don't trust myself hahaha!. Or rather, am trying to put energy on using the darn thing instead of spending time on searching and hoarding. I should get 1 or 2 spares though. I guess if they are showing up on Kijiji they are not likely to end up in a land fill and will find homes.

I don't know if you have yet a way for transfering stuff from here (the net) to your vic but you should look into doing it, it is crazy what the people here develop for the VIC in terms of Games and Utilities. The recent developments are quite exciting, in the hardware department as well.

Yes I do go to that Value Village!, I haven't seen many computers there, it's nice that you did score a Vic-20 there... The only computer I ever found there was a Texas Instrument 99/4a, and I grabed it, given the ridiculous price (4$). Stuff dissapears quickly in that store.... They often have old cartridges of old systems but prices have been jacked-up when they appear... I guess they are aware of the collectability of some of the items...

There's a couple of other places around for old computer stuff as well, such as the Salvation Army (2 stores), and two flee markets, but all the vic-20 material I ever saw came from local Kijiji.
DavPow
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by DavPow »

4$ for a TI-99 4A? Nice! I did go to one of the Salvation Army a while back, and they had a couple of TRS-80 games in the front near the cash. No price on them though. I did get some game consoles at the VV, like an old yellow Game Boy (real yellow plastic, not yellowed grey plastic LOL), which works perfect and is in great condition (it was only like 5$!). And also an old Xbox which was 15$ but also works perfectly fine AND it was already softmodded! But I went and installed XBMC afterwards. That, and lots of old DOS games! Including the Spear of Destiny expansion for Wolf 3D (Even though it's runs without having the original Wolf 3D, so it's not really an expansion). I love this place! :D
**** DAVPOW ****
3583 BYTES FREE
READY.
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

Here are a couple of pics of my current setup. That's my C=128 in the keyboard tray and that's VIC-20 Choplifter on the screen. There are a few things not hooked up right now, but this is the basic idea:

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a62 ... ea155c.jpg

And here's a closeup of the VIC-20 on the kitchen counter, where the lighting is a little better (but not much):

http://i1287.photobucket.com/albums/a62 ... 5e7990.jpg

I'm sorry for the bad image quality... I couldn't find my wife's cam, so cruddy cell phone pics will have to do for now.

In case any of you are wondering, I picked the ugliest, dirtiest VIC-20 I could get with the worst case of sunburn I have ever seen before I did all of that to it. I'm explaining myself in case someone thinks I desecrated a beautiful VIC-20... I didn't! I took a really ugly one and gave it a makeover! :wink:
BCNU,
Louis
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Here's my current setup (playing Zork:) ):
VC-20 brown keys
Mega-cart
SD2IEC with daughterboard
Datassette
Green-on-black monitor by Sanyo (1978)
Audio output: Tivoli Audio Model One

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

What's the size of that monitor?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
plume
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by plume »

@Muzz73

That is a really beautiful...toaster.

Only kidding! I actually really like the makeover you did, the kitchen tiles look fantastic! (Only joking again, I'll stop now, promise.)

Seriously though, did you spray the whole case or just paint the outer asthetics? She looks quite the classy dame if I'm honest! The lighter keys on a red backdrop are quite striking. Like it a lot!
...to ink the lavender skies...
The Day The Universe Died
(Now with extra lashings of Prambleton Post)
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by Muzz73 »

Actually, I figured if you're going to do something, do it right!

I broke the VIC down to the case only, peeled off the label and rubber feet on the bottom, scrubbed it clean, down to the plastic and sprayed it red with a paint made specially for sticking to plastic patio furniture (no need to prime it). I taped over the badges, then cut around the edges with a very sharp knife, and sprayed her down, inside and out.

I put the bottom label (with the original serial #) and the adhesive, freshly acquired, silicone feet on while the paint was still tacky, so they will not likely ever come off again.

My 64C has an I/O issue, so I cannibalized the keyboard, figuring the white would look better against the red than a chocolate brown keyboard would.

That's about it! I have a very pretty VIC-20 as a result. There are a couple of runs in the paint, to be honest with you, but they are on the bottom, where nobody looks, so I didn't worry too much about it. It does bug me a little here and there, so I think I will have to fix it it... eventually... :wink:
BCNU,
Louis
orion70
VICtalian

Post by orion70 »

Jeff-20 wrote:What's the size of that monitor?
It's a 13" monitor, no sound input. Don't know what it was used for in the 70s. I bought it from ebay.de maybe three or four of years ago, and found it perfect for a retro-looking setup, with or without the 1020. This is my setup before the birth of my daughter:

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

plume wrote:I actually really like the makeover you did, the kitchen tiles look fantastic!
I like the yogurt(?) dispenser. That's a cool idea! Do they make stands specifically for that purpose? I guess it doesn't matter; I don't eat yogurt.
orion70 wrote:t's a 13" monitor, no sound input. Don't know what it was used for in the 70s.
Strange. Seems like you would want sound for VIC 20 use.:D Why would they make one without sound?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.