New release: Forest Glider

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

New release: Forest Glider

Post by Jeff-20 »

Forest Glider
A game for the Unexpanded Vic 20, Joystick optional. All BASIC.

Best screenshot ever!

Inspired by Ghislain, I revisited my first game ideas (from childhood). This was the 6th(?) game I ever made recreated from memory-- now completely recreated. It's a little rushed, so I am open to suggestions for improvement. Of course, with all my games, I am not happy with the emulated play. Use a real vic! :D

Game Play:
Steer the glider by joystick or using both cursor keys. Avoid all trees and transverse screens to achieve a high score. The speed will increase on each screen. Fly over "slow down" icons and random bonuses to extend play and achieve a high score.

Special notes: scores are saved outside of program memory and remain even when the program is stopped. Press Shift-D to delete these scores. Unlock secret play modes!

Download

Whoever achieves the highest score in this game will get a cameo in my next game. I have an idea for a game that will have a named character/protagonist.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I can't get past level 19. I guess I shouldn't have taken those pills ;)
Learning all the time... :)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ha! Cool. Do the bonuses help or should there be more of them?
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

Only found that one so its a bit too early to tell...most of the pickups land behind trees though...at least for me LOL
Learning all the time... :)
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

Reminds of my first home made game: Space Purjo
http://user.tninet.se/~jad615g/viconline/
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I wish java worked on my phone. I'll have to play that hen I get to my real computer. I'm sure he concept was pretty common, like the downward ski game. I tried to embellish it with scoreboards and other small details.

It's the weekend, people. Please play my game! Haha
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Re: New release: Forest Glider

Post by Ghislain »

Jeff-20 wrote:Inspired by Ghislain, I revisited my first game ideas (from childhood). This was the 6th(?) game I ever made recreated from memory-- now completely recreated.
I wish I had a datassette back in the 1980s when I first got my VIC-20, I'd be able to find find even more old games I had made. Since I couldn't save them, they're gone forever.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
matsondawson
The Most Noble Order of Denial

Post by matsondawson »

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Re: New release: Forest Glider

Post by Jeff-20 »

Ghislain wrote:I wish I had a datassette back in the 1980s when I first got my VIC-20, I'd be able to find find even more old games I had made. Since I couldn't save them, they're gone forever.
I remember writing my programs on sheets of paper. I clearly recall losing the very first game, Space Frenzy. But I still have slim hope that a binder of five handwritten games still exists somewhere. I would be elated to find it even though the games are simple enough that I could just recreate them from memory.
matsondawson wrote:Fun. Love the music

http://www.mdawson.net/vic20chrome/vic2 ... glider.prg
My computer is just a little bit too slow to run this at a natural speed, but I am amazed at having my game so readily available! I played a few rounds, and only the sound was slow (my computer is really old).