Noisy VIC Power Supply

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Noisy VIC Power Supply

Post by JohnnyRockets »

My power supply for my VIC has a low humming sound or buzzing sound when it is on.

Is there a way to get rid of this?

This is my second power supply with this hum. :(
Thanks!

JR

><>
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Usually it's just an age thing and is harmless. If I recall it's something to do with the coil transformer being cracked over time or something...

It does seem a bit of bad luck that both your PSU's buzz though. That would drive me crazy too!
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
shem
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by shem »

Yeah the buzzing/humming is normal that's why commodore used to fill the old brick psu's with epoxy resin it put a stop to the buzzing
but a lot of them overheated as a result and the epoxy made it impossible to replace the caps and regulator
I'll take my cart to go thank you ;)
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Wow, I never understood that whole epoxy thing. Honestly, I hadn't given it much thought, but I am now glad to know why they did that.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Thanks all!

Wished I could fix it, but it isn't that bad...
Thanks!

JR

><>
callan
Vic 20 Newbie

Post by callan »

Jeff-20 wrote:Wow, I never understood that whole epoxy thing. Honestly, I hadn't given it much thought, but I am now glad to know why they did that.

I can't find the quote at short notice, but I recall the comment from Bil Herd (C128 / C264 design engineer) that "It was very hard to set fire to a big hunk of epoxy".

Callan