SD Device of choice?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Hi all!

Okay I think I'm coming to a solution for my VIC-20.

So, let's say I wanted to accomplish the following:

1) Non-Invasive JiffyDOS implementation for VIC-20. Would that be the Final Expansion 3 from RETRO innovations?

2) uIEC solution for VIC-20. Would that be the uIEC/SD + daughterboard from RETRO innovations?

I THINK these two items would allow me to have an SD disk drive essentially with the better speed because of the JiffyDOS...

Am I right here, or way off base?

:D
Thanks!

JR

><>
SkydivinGirl
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by SkydivinGirl »

The Final Expansion 3 has a built-in SD2IEC device so you don't need the uIEC/SD if you get that.

:P

Heather
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

The Final Expansion contains an SD2IEC device (functionally equivalent to the uIEC), a 512K memory expansion, and flash memory that can be used for cartridges/JiffyDOS functionality. So if you get a FE3, you do not need a uIEC.

Please note that a cartridge-based solution is not the most ideal, though it will work for most programs. You're giving up an 8K block in the memory map used by a few programs such as the recently released RPG "Realms of Quest III". Since there are so few 32K programs in existence right now it's fine in most situations, but for really big programs, ironically where it matters most, it will not.
edit: I should note that you can relocate SJLoad to $0400, but that doesn't solve programs that use 35K of expansion RAM. ;)
A ROM based JiffyDOS-compatible KERNAL for the Vic-20 should available someday, but in the mean time the cartridge solution will probably fit your needs.

Also, the FE3 is not sold by RETRO Innovations. You'll have to order it overseas from Retro Donald here (the website is in German)
Even with international shipping the price for the kit is really quite good considering all the functionality you get.
Last edited by Wilson on Wed Oct 31, 2012 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Okay, great! Thanks to everyone for clearing this up for me! Whew! I'm just starting to get familiar with these devices, and I really appreciate everyone's patience!!!

Thanks Wilson, that sounds like the way to go for me, at least for now.
Thanks!

JR

><>
Kananga
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Kananga »

Wilson wrote:edit: I should note that you can relocate SJLoad to $0400, but that doesn't solve programs that use 35K of expansion RAM. ;)
Is there really a program for the Vic-20 that needs 35K RAM? :shock:
Buy the new Bug-Wizard, the first 100 bugs are free!
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

Kananga wrote:Is there really a program for the Vic-20 that needs 35K RAM? :shock:
Yes. My Infocom interpreter.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Also: Doom.
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Kweepa wrote:Also: Doom.
DOOM! For Commodore? The DOOM? I LOVE that game! Where can I get that sweet game for the Commodore!!! :?:
Thanks!

JR

><>
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

Derailing the thread even more, here's the WIP thread for Doom:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=4889
I need to get back and finish it really.
JohnnyRockets
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by JohnnyRockets »

Wow, that is amazing!
Thanks!

JR

><>
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Kweepa wrote:Derailing the thread even more, here's the WIP thread for Doom:
http://sleepingelephant.com/ipw-web/bul ... php?t=4889
I need to get back and finish it really.
Yes. Yes you do!

Anyway, back on topic. :)

Have you bought anything yet? If not, here's my tuppence worth.

I'd recommend keeping it simple to begin with until through practice you know what you really need. Personally, I'd go with just the uIEC from Jim Brain and nothing else.

Yes, the Commodore commands for disk usage are a little verbose and archaic but they're easy enough to use just to load and save things and you can find these commands all over the web including on this forum... Just don't ask me to type them here from memory!

After a while you may find that using JiffyDOS with keyboard shortcuts is something that you need. In that case you would just have to buy the chip as you would already have the uIEC with JiffyDOS compatibility built-in.

Others have mentioned lots of solutions and none are wrong but most of them are a little convoluted for a beginner to get their head around.

The Megacart is amazing but the waiting list is like a year long now and the FE3 is fantastic but you have to build it yourself... Neither option is great to get you up and running quickly...

Anyway, that's my view. I'm pretty computer illeterait so take it from me - this is the best 'beginner's' solution! :)
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

TNT wrote:
Kananga wrote:Is there really a program for the Vic-20 that needs 35K RAM? :shock:
Yes. My Infocom interpreter.
Yes, but nobody else has access to that (yet!). :P
"...That of the Eastern tribe being like a multitude of colours as if a rainbow had settled upon its brow..." Daniels 1:3
TNT
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TNT »

Pedro Lambrini wrote:Yes, but nobody else has access to that (yet!). :P
Here...
orion70 wrote:infocom
Infocom's text adventures.
Pedro Lambrini
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Pedro Lambrini »

Ooh, I missed that. Thanks very much for the link TNT and thanks for the SD compilation orion70. :)
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

I just tested my newly arrived sd2iec. Works like a charm!

Using the filebrowser from here:
http://www.vic20.it/cbmfilebrowser/
I can easily open both direct .prg-files and files inside .d64-images.