Do you think the 1702 monitor is best?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Do you think the 1702 monitor is best?

Post by Jeff-20 »

In my search for the perfect TV, I've returned many flat screens and initiated many threads here. I'm debating the hype surrounding the ubiquitous 1702 among classic gamers.

PROs and CONs

Considering dot pitch and resolution, smaller CRTs are just best. The best pictures come from late model 13 inch CRTs which are not great for general viewing. And these TVs often clip the edges of the image.

The larger Sony CRT is great for classic and modern consoles, but it's a flat CRT, so light guns don't work. The variety of inputs is wonderful.

The 1702 is nice! I love all the adjustments, but it only has one front-side, MONO input. That sucks for any console after the Genesis. NO Saturn or Playstation love.

So, lately, I've been into considering 20 inch studio monitors! Lot's of inputs, adjustments, and tight resolution.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

WOW! That post made no sense. I was very sleepy when I wrote it.

Ok, this is what I meant:

There are many benefits to the 1702, but I'm not convinced it is the best monitor for classic gaming.

PROS:
it can be stacked with other monitors
it has handles to make moving it around easier
it has horizontal adjustment to make cropping a little less of a problem
the vertical hold helps with PAL games in NTSC lands.

CONS:
I wish the front AV inputs were in the back for a neater look
I wish it were not mono to work for other consoles with stereo sound
the age of the monitor almost insures a blurry image
13 inch CRTs made in the late 90s had much better image quality

I can't understand why so many classic gamers recommend the 1702 as a gaming monitor.
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Maybe because it does what it does well and does not have bells and whistles.

On the 3.5k Vic you don't expand to 16k. Why do you need the 1702 to do more than it's original role? it is Pre Genesis.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Very good point. I should be clear. I am looking for one monitor for all of my consoles (from VIC to Genesis to Dreamcast). It would be nice to consolidate.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

I feel the best display for the Vic-20 is a basic 9" - 13" CRT tv. I'm currently using a late 90's Trinitron 9" TV and the display is awesome.... Much better than many other tv's and Commodore monitors I've used before.

Barney
Last edited by Barney on Fri Dec 04, 2015 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
amramsey
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by amramsey »

The 1084 is where I've gravitated too for all my retro gaming goodness. Small and portable but great quality. I like the looks of the 1702, but not as capable.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

I have a 1084 and a 1901 an in comparison the 1901 clearly wins - it has just a beautiful picture. I remember back in the day there was a simple mod to give the 1901 an analog RGB-input for Amiga and the german 64er magazine (if I remember correctly) raved that this was the best Amiga ever looked.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Barney wrote:Believe it or not, the best display for the Vic-20 is a basic 10" - 12" CRT tv. I'm currently using a late 90's Trinitron 10" TV and the display is awesome....
I didn't realize they made late models in that size. I have considered an earlier model 10 inch Trinitron because I love the retro design, but I think the connectors are just VHF screws. I would have to hook up the VIC with a switchbox.

If you don't mind, could you tell me the model number you use? I am looking for the "perfect" CRT for both VIC and video gaming.
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Jeff-20 wrote:
Barney wrote:Believe it or not, the best display for the Vic-20 is a basic 10" - 12" CRT tv. I'm currently using a late 90's Trinitron 10" TV and the display is awesome....
I didn't realize they made late models in that size. I have considered an earlier model 10 inch Trinitron because I love the retro design, but I think the connectors are just VHF screws. I would have to hook up the VIC with a switchbox.

If you don't mind, could you tell me the model number you use? I am looking for the "perfect" CRT for both VIC and video gaming.
I got mine off Ebay. Here is the model number: KV-9T40. It's got both the RF and RCA connectors on the back. Also if your interrested, I may be selling one of my 10" tv's. It has the rf input on the back and also works nicely on the Vic-20.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I just bought a Trinitron KV-20S40. I wanted a 20 inch and this one has almost NO overscan! The complete image is on screen for every console/computer. I couldn't find any info on your model number. I assume it's pretty much the same as this one

I am still searching for the perfect screen. My dream tv would be a round screen 20 inch trinitron with s-video, audio out, and maybe multiple inputs. I've only been able to find these features on a flat screen.

I wish more information was available online. I want a tv made in that small window of time when CRTs were capable of picking up digital signals (around 2003-2005?) before they all turned garish silver and went flat screen (which doesn't work with light guns).
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Jeff-20 wrote:I just bought a Trinitron KV-20S40. I wanted a 20 inch and this one has almost NO overscan! The complete image is on screen for every console/computer. I couldn't find any info on your model number. I assume it's pretty much the same as this one

I am still searching for the perfect screen. My dream tv would be a round screen 20 inch trinitron with s-video, audio out, and maybe multiple inputs. I've only been able to find these features on a flat screen.

I wish more information was available online. I want a tv made in that small window of time when CRTs were capable of picking up digital signals (around 2003-2005?) before they all turned garish silver and went flat screen (which doesn't work with light guns).
I know why you didn't find any information on the model I stated. I accidentally typed it incorrectly. I meant to say: KV-9PT40. I accidentally forgot the P.
IsaacKuo
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by IsaacKuo »

The 1702 has rear S-Video input, which is good for later consoles. You need to rig up an adapter to go from a standard S-Video connector to dual RCA jacks, but that's no big deal. Also, you can use an SVHS VCR or something to convert from composite to S-Video, if you want to convert VIC20 composite output to S-Video for the rear.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Has anyone seen a commercial (not professional) non-flat, CRT in the 20 inch class with s-video? I have not. Does it exist?
Barney
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Barney »

Your best bet would be to check thrift stores for various TV's that come in. I bought a 14" White Trinitron TV (KV-13M31) with an excellent picture and it even matches the color of my Vic. The picture blew away all other monitors I've used on my Vic in the past.