Tuning a 1702 monitor

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Tuning a 1702 monitor

Post by Jeff-20 »

I've been cleaning up a 1702 monitor I bought last year. I love all the options under the front panel, but there are even more inside: pots to control the vertical position, horizontal stretch, and vertical stretch.

My problem appears to be a slight tilt. My newer CRT has a tilt adjustment under a service menu, but the 1702 is all analog pots and knobs. Has anyone played around with tilt?

Any experience adjusting these monitor would be helpful... and added to the wiki.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

-------------- Forwarded message ------------------
Date: Sun, July 1, 2012 9:24 am

Image tilt on a Commodore monitor is adjustable only by rotating the deflection yoke. You have to loosen the clamp on the neck of the CRT and (breaking the glue or tape bond), twist the yoke slightly and power up the monitor to see if the adjustment is correct. It may take several tries to get it right. Doing it with the monitor running is risky if you have no experience working on monitors.

Ray
Leeeeee
soldering master

Post by Leeeeee »

Rotating the deflection yoke will upset the convergence, which is a whole new level of frustration to put right, even when you know what you're doing.

Lee.
RobertBe
Vic 20 Elite

Post by RobertBe »

-------------- Forwarded message ------------------
Date: Sun, July 3, 2012 2:39 pm
Leeeeee wrote:Rotating the deflection yoke will upset the convergence...
No, it will not. The only way it would is if the yoke is moved forward or backward. There are rubber "bumpers" glued to the CRT that the yoke sits against, so unless you remove those shims or pull the yoke back off of them, the convergence will not change. Neither will purity. Just make sure the yoke is still against the shims after the tilt correction. If someone has been in there screwing around with the CRT adjustments, all bets are off. You'll have to start from scratch to reset everything, in the proper order of adjustments, of course.

Part of the convergence adjustment is to tilt the side of the yoke (that sits against the tube) up/down and-or left/right, then secure it with the shims so it doesn't move off those settings. The convergence rings on the neck move the beams in the center of the screen, so those are set first, then the yoke is tilted off axis (not rotated) to compensate for misconvergence at the screen edges.

Ray