CBM FileBrowser for uIEC SD2IEC MMC2IEC

Discuss anything related to the VIC
telengard
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by telengard »

nama wrote:
telengard wrote:Love this program, use it religiously. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to sort files based on timestamp, is there any way to get it to sort alphabetically?
I love this program too, but I have exactly the same issue with the way it sorts and displays the listing of files.

Phil
I found a script that sorta address this (it's written in python) by modifying the atime and mtime. I'm also going to look at the sources for FB, maybe I could add this feature.

~telengard
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

StarshipUK wrote:It is a shame this does not work with the C116/C16/Plus 4 :(

Does anyone know of something similar that will?
I'm working on C116/C16/Plus 4 port at the moment, all tests in VICE are OK, do you want a beta version for testing ?
telengard wrote:Love this program, use it religiously. One thing I've noticed is that it seems to sort files based on timestamp, is there any way to get it to sort alphabetically?
The program gets the directory from drive by using LOAD"$",8 and displays files in the same order, it's the same original code from sd2brwse (CBM-FileBrowser is derived from it).
I will check the code, send me in PM your files/suggestions.

...meanwhile to avoid this problem I copy files to SD card in alphabetical order :wink:
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Major update for my CBM-FileBrowser to support 264 series machines (Commodore 16, 116 and Plus 4)

CBM FileBrowser v.1.3, download here

There are some cosmetic changes, some keys reassignment for C64 and there is the new [S] Sort key to enable/disable directory sorting on browsing, many thanks to Mike, Kweepa and tlr.

Many thanks to nanosoft for beta testing with his C64SD on C16/C116/Plus4 and other machines.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Awesome utility for uIEC.

Would it be possible to reset system colors and clear the screen before running selected program?

Thanks.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Yes, it's a good idea.
I'm releasing a new version to add JiffyDTV support for C64-DTV so I will update all systems with your request.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

Cool, thanks.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

This is a great program. It's intelligent enough to distinguish between programs that require memory expansion and those that do not.

I presume that it's able to do this by reading the first two bytes of the PRG file?
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Ghislain wrote:This is a great program. It's intelligent enough to distinguish between programs that require memory expansion and those that do not.
Thank you.
I presume that it's able to do this by reading the first two bytes of the PRG file?
Yes, exactly.
Ghislain
Realms of Quest

Post by Ghislain »

I finally got an SD2IEC for my VIC-20 (and one for my Commodore 64). I came across this issue where D64 files could not be mounted.

As it turns out, FileBrowser expects the D64 file to be named something like Disk.d64 where the "d" in "d64" is in lowercase. If it's in upper case as in 'Disk.D64', FileBrowser will treat it as a prg file and attempt to load the entire 170KB file into RAM!

So make sure that your d64 files have their extensions appear as .d64 in lower case.
"A slave is one who waits for someone to come and free him." -- Ezra Pound
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

With sd2iec it's a good idea to name all your files on the sd card as lowercase. Uppercase is viewed by commodore computers as graphics characters.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Ghislain wrote:So make sure that your d64 files have their extensions appear as .d64 in lower case.
buzbard wrote:With sd2iec it's a good idea to name all your files on the sd card as lowercase. Uppercase is viewed by commodore computers as graphics characters.
Yes, this is a general rule for sd2iec firmware, and if you don't use d64/d71/d81 images, another thing is to remove the ".prg" suffix to avoid file names > 16 chars.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Another update for my CBM-FileBrowser to add JIFFYDTV speed-up support for C64-DTV

CBM FileBrowser v.1.4, download here

I've changed colors for C16/C116/Plus4 version (much more similar to other versions) and now for all systems, restore colors and clear screen before RUN.

There is also a quick guide on how to flash CBM-FileBrowser (with JIFFYDTV) on the C64-DTV, based on my tests it drastically increase speed loading on C64-DTV.

JiffyDTV is not supplied of course, you need to have/buy the C64 JiffyDOS v6.01 version and use this site.

PS: Next steps.... C128, Hydrophilic that already ported SJLOAD to the C128, is working on the CBM-FileBrowser porting for the Commodore 128 (native mode), we are in a very preliminary alpha stage at the moment but I'm quite confident.
buzbard
Vic 20 Devotee

Post by buzbard »

I found a small bug in the CBM Filebrowser. It involves C64s with KERNAL version 2.

Version 2 KERNAL fills the screen color RAM with the current background color (default=blue).
FB64 seems to clear the screen then changes the text color (to white), then when you scroll the file-list part of the text changes to the old (blue) color.
Ray..
Witzo
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by Witzo »

Thanks for making this, Nbla000! I'm a happy user.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Another major update for my CBM-FileBrowser to add Commodore 128 (native mode) support.

CBM FileBrowser v.1.5, download here

Now uppercases disk images D64,D81,D71 are also recognized, C16/Plus4 and C64 versions have the Drive change feature like for C64DTV, C128 and Vic-20 + Mega-Cart.

Many thanks to Hydrophilic for his Commodore 128 (native mode) porting.