Atlantis by Imagic?

Discussion, Reviews & High-scores

Moderator: Moderators

Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Atlantis by Imagic?

Post by Muzz73 »

Has anyone on this forum played this game on the VIC? If so, can you please tell me if it is more like the Atari 2600 version (plain) or more like the Intellivision version? That one has better graphics & sound, three modes (day, dusk and night), a saucer for ship-to-ship combat and searchlights at night. It was just so cool!

Thanks in advance!
BCNU,
Louis
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

Played it last night.

It is a bit repetitive, 2 bases shooting left and right hand side of the screen at 45 degrees to hit 2 different types of left and right flying aliens that gradually descend. If they descent more than 3 rows they zap an atlantian city.

It gets a bit faster and destroyed bases are rebuilt if you survive a wave with no damage or get enough points.

Background was a black sky with a few pixel stars.

I would give it a 6/10
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Atlantis...

Post by Muzz73 »

Interesting...

I've played the Atari 2600 VCS version and it had three bases (the middle one could be destroyed).

The Intellivison version (I used to own this one) was awesome. It had the two bases (one on either side) and in place of the center base, there was a little hangar that could launch a flying saucer that could fire rockets left and right. It also had a night mode where the sky would go black and there we searchlights scanning the sky.

I would like to play the game again, so I was going to get the VIC=20 version on cartridge, but was hoping that it'd be more like the Intellivision rendition.
BCNU,
Louis
Vic20-Ian
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Vic20-Ian »

You could try it on VICE on the pc first.
Vic20-Ian

The best things in life are Vic-20

Upgrade all new gadgets and mobiles to 3583 Bytes Free today! Ready
TBCVIC
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TBCVIC »

The Intellivision version is the best.

Intellivision:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6QYRIsTNMQ

Vic-20:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dbGPe4_jx5g
Ola Andersson
FD22
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by FD22 »

I thought the VIC version looked better, although the video didn't really show how the gameplay compared. Got to be a few bonus points for using a border raster effect though (even if it wasn't timed quite right) which I don't recall seeing in any other game of the period.
Kweepa
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by Kweepa »

It's possible the border timing was off in the emulator used to record the video rather than in the real game.
Shame it's so difficult to record VIC videos with the aspect ratio correct. It kind of ruins the look of the VIC version.
TBCVIC
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Post by TBCVIC »

Well, the Vic is a more powerful machine to be sure, maybe it's time for a better version of Atlantis for the Vic.
Ola Andersson
highinfidelity
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by highinfidelity »

Ditto.

I tend to assume the Atari 2600 version of Atlantis as the "true" one, as it brought with it the spirit of "just push the firebutton" which was quite uncommon (and surprisingly challenging) at the time. Also, it has a very nice 2-player cooperative mode.

The Intellivision version goes more ahead, especially with graphics, but it betrays too badly the "just push the button" concept IMHO. It turned the game into a more common "aim and shoot" game of which the market was flooded.

The VIC20 version under many aspects is less interesting than both of the above, lacking the central cannon but also lacking the Intellivisions' graphic innovations. Whatever may be our respective favourite version, the VIC is sure able to do MUCH better than that.
GOD is REAL. Unless declared DOUBLE PRECISION.
Muzz73
Vic 20 Hobbyist

Atlantis (Imagic):

Post by Muzz73 »

It looks to me like the Intellivision version is the best, but the VIC=20 (as a platform) had so much more potential!

Too bad I'm not a programmer... I'd love to see an updated VIC=20 version running 8 or 16K RAM!
BCNU,
Louis