Does anyone recreate new cassettes?

Discuss anything related to the VIC
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Does anyone recreate new cassettes?

Post by CBR125R »

I am curious to know if there is any easy way to get a TAP or other format file onto a cassette so that it can be loaded with a classic datasette recorder?

I know it sounds a little crazy, but I would like to be able load some of the classic VIC-20 releases from an old-fashioned cassette....
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

I think you can just connect any old tape deck up to your computer's headphone socket and then use Audiotap to play the TAP file onto a cassette. Or maybe it's WAV-PRG? They're both on the same site anyway - just google it. :)

Oops, spelling mistake!
Last edited by MicroPet on Mon Apr 23, 2012 1:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

I just tried Goggling 'sazme' and didn't really see anything reagrding VICs or cassette recording... Can you elucidate a bit more on this site?
Boray
Musical Smurf

Post by Boray »

CBR125R wrote:I just tried Goggling 'sazme' and didn't really see anything reagrding VICs or cassette recording... Can you elucidate a bit more on this site?
:lol: I don't think that was the word you should google!
PRG Starter - a VICE helper / Vic Software (Boray Gammon, SD2IEC music player, Vic Disk Menu, Tribbles, Mega Omega, How Many 8K etc.)
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Sorry about the spelling mistake there! I'm typing on my tiny netbook keyboard.

Anyway, here's the site:

http://wav-prg.sourceforge.net/

Let us know how you get on. :)
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

Boray wrote:
CBR125R wrote:I just tried Goggling 'sazme' and didn't really see anything reagrding VICs or cassette recording... Can you elucidate a bit more on this site?
:lol: I don't think that was the word you should google!
:P
16KVIC20
Vic 20 Nerd

Post by 16KVIC20 »

I used to try making cassettes, and probably will do again when I get time. I only get about 50% success rate. To be honest I can't think of any more games to get for the VIC, but I'm open to suggestions. I used to use winTZX, which was originally meant for ZX Spectrum, but it also turns .PRGs into .WAV files, which can be recorded of course. I think the problem may be in the heads on the tape deck used for recording being different from the C2N.
Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Oge_user »

After months of researches, I've found at least two ways to make real tapes with 99% success rate. Don't forget that old-fashioned devices like C64S Tape Adapter are still doable ;)

Cheers,
Oge
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

I wish I was clever. Then I'd write software for the iPhone and Android that would allow the playback of TAP and TZX files into Commodore and Speccy computers. That way I could dispense with my old and flaky Datasettes altogether. As it stands, to load tape games I have to use an assortment of 3 different Datasettes just to get most (read: not all!) working... :(
CBR125R
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by CBR125R »

That's too bad... :(

I have a C2N datasette that works like new. Mostly I use my VIC-20 for cartridge based gaming and the occasional playing with BASIC, but I just thought it might be fun to have a few of the better tape-based games.

The thing is that on eBay people want a small fortune for cassette games that are sold "as is" and aren't tested in anyway. There's nothing like spending $20+shipping on an auction to have the item arrive and not even work!
MicroPet
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by MicroPet »

^
Just like my last three tape purchases! None of them worked in any of my tape decks... bummer. :(

Maybe we should set up the Vic Denial Cassette Remaster Foundation. We could produce brand new tapes with nice new shiny inserts and everything! :P

*wakes up from cloud cuckoo land...*
Oge_user
Vic 20 Amateur

Post by Oge_user »

MicroPet wrote:I wish I was clever. Then I'd write software for the iPhone and Android that would allow the playback of TAP and TZX files into Commodore and Speccy computers. That way I could dispense with my old and flaky Datasettes altogether. As it stands, to load tape games I have to use an assortment of 3 different Datasettes just to get most (read: not all!) working... :(
Aligning the Azimuth is a thing that can be done with a bit of patience.

Once is performed, the Datassette will work like a new one. Concerning VIC-20s, there are no TurboLoaders AFAIR: Azimuth will not need perfect alignment to succesfully read tapes.

Cheers,
Oge
bokvamme
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by bokvamme »

Oge_user wrote:Concerning VIC-20s, there are no TurboLoaders AFAIR: Azimuth will not need perfect alignment to succesfully read tapes.
There are turbo loaders for the vic-20. The HesWare games use such a loader and others.
vic20tapes.org - preservation of vic20 tapes.
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Oge_user wrote:Concerning VIC-20s, there are no TurboLoaders AFAIR
The Mega-Cart includes 2 turbo tape, Cassette Turbo and my Turbotape 2.0.
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
MadCommodore
Vic 20 Drifter

Post by MadCommodore »

For Commodore tapes I always found mono tape deck best for recording. Hard to find an audio tape deck with mono!

I'm sure someone could make an interface so you could record the sound file to tape with your own C2N manually no?

Power
Gnd
Audio in line

Anything else?