Autostart Cart

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Kananga wrote:You could also use the load address of a program
Thanks for your considerations, first I thought on this solution but...
This method does not work for multi-part cartridge image.
thinking on multi-part cartridge image I moved to the current solution.

Jeff-20 wrote:I'm having a little trouble. The files I had on disk had the .prg in the title and didn't work, so I renamed them to P and MC-BOOT.
If I'm not wrong there is an sd2iec command that hides the .prg extension but I'm not sure, alternatively you need to remove .prg

It will be the same for my next "MC-BOOT" generic version.
I've noticed a delay in the time it takes the uIEC to start after the VIC starts.
Yes this is normal and this is the question, when you reset, some sd2iec based devices have a fast start and others a slow start, so there is a method to set a custom delay before Mega-Cart checks for drives.

Just hold "ESC" key on Boot until you think the drive (uIEC/1541/1581) is ready, you see dots on screen, release the "ESC" key and it will work.
On the next boot, the Mega-Cart will remember this delay.

Just hold again "ESC" key if you want to change, increase or decrease, the "waiting" value.

With my uIEC, the delay is very long 8/9 dots, if I'm not wrong, while with C64SD 6/7 dots, with standard drives the default value should work, at least in PAL btw if you have problems you need to find the right "wait" value for your hardware.
The external boot gives me a long wait but the boot check doesn't go anywhere. Just twelve dots and then nothing.
Brian setted this value for you, default is 5 btw 12 dots should be enough.
Did I rename the files wrong?
yes maybe, if you read the SD-Card directory from a PC you should have these file in lower case, without extension and in the root, not in a sub-folder.

Code: Select all

mc-boot
p
Running MC-BOOT by itself works. It loads and runs the program P. So, maybe I am not getting the megacart to load MC-BOOT.
so at least MC-BOOT and P are in the same drive and at the same folder level...
It's hard to know what's happening in external boot mode.
The Mega-Cart wait a bit (customizable value by holding "ESC" key) than checks for MC-BOOT file from drive #8 to #15 and loads it, your drive is #10 if I'm not wrong, right ?
Mega-Cart: the cartridge you plug in once and for all.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

PROGRESS REPORT:
I've narrowed the problem. It's not the MegaCart. I hooked up a disk drive and set the drive number to 10. That worked! So, the problem is with the uIEC.

I tried a different SD card. That didn't work. So, unless both SD cards have been petitioned in some way, I don't think it's a problem with having the files in the root directory.

I'm going to update the uIEC firmware, but it that doesn't work, it's good to know I could just use the disk drive. I only worry that starting up the drive with the disk inserted and heads down might damage the disk after 20 powerups. Should I be worried about that? I don't know.
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
6502dude
megacart

Post by 6502dude »

Try setting the boot delay for uIEC to become ready after reset.
1541/1571 drives require very little wait time for autoboot.
I have found that 1581 also requires delay to be set for autoboot.
Image Mega-Cart: the ultimate cartridge for your Commodore Vic-20
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

Jeff-20 wrote:I tried a different SD card. That didn't work. So, unless both SD cards have been petitioned in some way, I don't think it's a problem with having the files in the root directory.
You may manually simulate the Mega-Cart external boot process.

Try this:
1) Hold CTRL on boot and select "INTERNAL BOOT", the vic restarts with standard Menu.
2) Select the "SOFT RESET (NO AUTO)" Menu item
3) Select "VIC + 32K (+SJLOAD), you see the Vic Prompt.
4) LOAD"MC-BOOT",10

If you got an error, send me the LOAD"$",10 screen output (a picture if you can)

If you are able to load it, the external boot should work too so it's just a delay matter, try to increase the boot delay:
1) Hold CTRL on boot and select "EXTERNAL BOOT", the vic now recheck for "MC-BOOT"
2) Hold the "ESC" key and reset the Vic.
3) Check the green led of your uIEC, when it's off, release the "ESC" key.

If you want I may send you the new "MC-BOOT" but the external boot system is the same of course, just the program itself is different.
rhurst
Omega Star Commander

Post by rhurst »

When you post this Mega-Cart autoboot utility, would you mind including any/all source code with it, please? I was going to craft one myself earlier to make use of a large game library on an SD card, but would rather derive one from the MC experts instead. I think it could be very useful and fun for real VIC+MC hardware users.
Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced.
https://robert.hurst-ri.us/rob/retrocomputing
nbla000
Salmon Run

Post by nbla000 »

rhurst wrote:When you post this Mega-Cart autoboot utility, would you mind including any/all source code with it, please?
Yes, No problems.