Help needed from NTSC-VIC-users

Modding and Technical Issues

Moderator: Moderators

Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Kweepa wrote:If the program is less than 50 or so lines ...
Downloading it and quick-checking in VICE would have already told you that a significant part of the program is contained in an object file (actually one each for PAL and NTSC), which you won't easily be able to type in.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

The program I wrote will ONLY work on real NTSC-machines, not in VICE (yet). So, time to get those SD-drives fixed ;-)
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

tokra wrote:The program I wrote will ONLY work on real NTSC-machines, not in VICE (yet). So, time to get those SD-drives fixed ;)
Yeah, I'm really sorry. I only had access to my Vic for a couple days. It needs some major pot adjustment and holding the wire is kind of a pain...I just never got around to it. :oops:
I'll have access to my Vic again in two weeks.
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

I patched up my cable (quite crappily in presentation but it works)
Ummm, I might be a while here - I have an old PC just for this purpose and 2 X1541 cables (properly made) years ago by a friend.
Once I get this program transferred I'll try my best to get the pic posted up here by Sunday latest! :)
Learning all the time... :)
darkatx
Vic 20 Afficionado

Post by darkatx »

As promised, here's a pic - first time ever taking a pic with a cell phone. I held it up right to the screen and the colours seem to match exceptionally close! (Made sure all the lights were off so as not to get any glare or colour casting)
I have an even larger more detailed version if you want...
regards,
Bryan
Learning all the time... :)
Wilson
Vic 20 Enthusiast

Post by Wilson »

Hooray, darkatx! :D
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I know this is very late, but do you still need images? I finally have access to my 1702 again as well as a standard TV. The only problem is that I can't get into Mike's .d64. Sorry for my incompetence. I've tried CD on my uIEC, but can't get it to work. Maybe if a PRG can be provided?
High Scores, Links, and Jeff's Basic Games page.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

darkatx: Thanks for the image, this looks similar to mine (Light orange being more pinkish)

Jeff-20: The more the better. Did you try to switch the directory like this?

Code: Select all

OPEN1,8,15,"CD:COLO*":CLOSE1
Mayhem
High Bidder

Post by Mayhem »

I've been horrendously ill the last few days, otherwise I would have done this. If it's still needed, then soon-ish...
Lie with passion and be forever damned...
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

tokra wrote: Jeff-20: The more the better. Did you try to switch the directory like this?

OPEN1,8,15,"CD:COLO*":CLOSE1
Yes, I did. Many times. Of course, I am using a uIEC, so I open 10 instead of 8. I've never been able to work with d64s on real hardware. It usually freezes the system or just gives me the root directory again.
Mike
Herr VC

Post by Mike »

Jeff-20 wrote:It usually freezes the system or just gives me the root directory again.
So you're practically telling us you didn't get a fundamental operation of the SD2IEC devices to work for you, for whatever reason, since the time you got it maybe two, three years ago.

When I distribute my programs as disk image, and not as single *.prg file, I have my reasons for that. In case of 'Colour Test', the routine for displaying raster bars is sufficiently different between PAL and NTSC there's no point including both versions into the executable. Rather, this part of the program is regarded as exchangeable 'module', the correct version loaded from disk just as needed.

In a related manner, the executable of MINIGRAFIK never has been incorporated into my programs which use it. If there are several 'client' programs on a disk, which do use MG, that would waste space with unneeded copies of MG statically linked to (read: 'buried within') the clients.

For me, the *.d64 file still provides for a convenient package, which holds all necessary files of a program/application/game together.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

Mike wrote: So you're practically telling us you didn't get a fundamental operation of the SD2IEC devices to work for you, for whatever reason, since the time you got it maybe two, three years ago.
Yes. Sad, I know. I've had the MegaCart and tons of PRGs, so the issue didn't come up much. I usually just used d64s in emulation. I've only had reason to use them on real hardware a handful of times. I get the idea of the d64. I just don't like them much. Thanks to nbla000 for introducing me to DirMaster which I am sure will solve this problem. If you're not into the C64 scene, you miss awareness of a lot of useful software.
tokra
Vic 20 Scientist

Post by tokra »

Which firmware version does your uIEC have? You can check by reading the error channel right after a reset like this

open1,10,15,"uj":input#1,a,b$,c,d:printa,b$,c,d:close1
You can get recent (0.10.3) firmware at http://www.sd2iec.de - just unzip sd2iec-0.10.3-binaries.zip to the root of the SD-card and turn on the VIC with the uIEC connected. It should update to the most recent firmware for the uIEC. Maybe this will fix your .d64 issues as well.
Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

I took three pics. I KNOW that the color on my home TV is really off. They are meant to suit my eyes, and often disturb my guests. I'll post it if you want, but it may not be useful.

These two images are from a TV and Monitor in my studio which I have not adjusted at all (but the previous owners may have). If you want me to adjust the settings in any way, I can and repost.

Jeff-20
Denial Founder

Post by Jeff-20 »

tokra wrote:

open1,10,15,"uj":input#1,a,b$,c,d:printa,b$,c,d:close1
?ILLEGAL DIRECT
ERROR
READY.

How should this be done?